Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    erikejohnson Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2008, 04:14 PM
    This fan works!! Give it time and you will see that even though the blades move slowly, it does move more air than most of the fans that blow on you. It's a beautiful fan and it works well.
    dpmorrison Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 12:15 PM

I just got off the phone with King of Fans who sells the Hampton Bay Altura fan to Home Depot and the rep admitted the fan doesn't move much air. HD stayed on the line and said they would gladly take the two fans I had put up back with no questions. Very disappointing on two parts for this pretty fan - 1.) It doesn't push air as any fan is supposed to and King of Air knows that 2.) That HD doesn't advise buyers that this fan is for cosmetics only and not for functional use. The Altura Fan really is a dog product in terms of use. Get a smaller one that works betters... or better yet, buy from a manufacturer that sells fans that work. Very disappointing to go through having to assemble this fan (no simple task in terms of time), put it up and then have to take it down. My time is worth more than that... I hope your's is too!

Stay away from the Hampton Bay Altura Fan if you want a fan that actually moves air.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 12:48 PM

If you want a fan that moves air, use an industrial fan. I recommend the Envirofan Gold Line.

Industrial and Commercial Ceiling Fan Brand Guides and Reviews - Ceiling Fans N More
    lakewood4us Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2009, 09:51 PM
    I just installed two of these fans, at first look I thought the same as most people "turns to slow" . Looks are deceiving it has nothing to do with speed, as much as the size and pitch of the blades. The highest mount I have is 23 feet off the floor and in reverse mode on medium speed, it quickly blew out the match I was holding while standing on the floor. They move a large amount of air.
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2009, 08:43 PM

We've also had many reported problems with them.

I still say go with the Gold Lines mentioned above.
    turboprop Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2009, 10:04 AM

All right everyone this is very simple so listen closesly. Evidently no one knows about Bernoulli's principle, as stated "when the speed of a stream of gas increases, the pressure of the gas decreases, and when the speed of the gas decreases, the pressure increases."

This is not rocket science, the fan speed is slow because of 1) the diameter of the fan, larger mass is going to move slower. 2) the most important reason, THE BLADES ARE AT A HIGHER "PITCH" THAN TRADITONAL ONES!! It amazed me as I read down all of the complaints about this fan, there is nothing wrong with it! If the air displacement is not enough then get a smaller lower pitch fan that is also louder so you can be happy.
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2009, 10:14 PM

Or they could just get a better quality fan, regardless of speed.
    dayu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2010, 12:44 PM
    Think about it. The pitch of the blades, the length of the blades & the curvature of the blades all combined will equate into a higher volume of air flow, even at a slower speed. With the design of this fan there is no need to have a great amount of fan speed inorder to move a suffient quanity of air to circulate an adicquate amount of air. I'm very satisfied with my 68" Altura. If only wish all fans were built on the same principles. Given a greater pitch or (degree of angle) to blades, along with the stylish and most effective curvature there of, has created one of the most efficient and economic fans todate.
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 02:22 AM

The most efficient fans use higher speeds, lesser blades, and optimum blade pitches.

Industrial fans move far more air than residential fans-- 30,000cfm compared to 6,000 or so. They use a shallow blade pitch and a high RPM motor.

Industrial and commercial ceiling fans - Ceiling Fans N More
    smcpartlin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2010, 01:51 PM
    So I like the idea of a quiet fan... but it needs to move a lot of air. In the summer time it needs to run in Reverse and pull air up... not blow down. I've felt this action is hard to "feel" with any fan. (sure people want air blowing on them but that's not the best way to cool a room)

So I get the curve of the blades helps move the air... is there a fan with similar looks but runs a bit faster?

20,000 cfm would be nice. Commercial fans are NOISY. I want this fan for a Master bedroom where I want to run on high... cool the room and be able to sleep.

Any other suggestion for a fan I plan to sleep under?
    Uber Member

May 9, 2010, 06:34 PM

I disagree that the best way to cool a room is reverse-- on high it shouldn't make a difference, except for where you feel the breeze. Reverse is a gimmick.

Not all commercial fans are noisy. I recommend the Northwest Envirofan Gold Line. Moves over 30,000cfm so you could use it on medium. You will feel more of a breeze with straight blades but curved blades are better for circulation. Get a four speed wall control-- a variable speed wall control WILL make it noisy.

Someone I recommended it to on this site just installed one of these in their living room and LOVES it.
    smcpartlin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2010, 07:47 AM
    Yes this is a very nice fan but not sutable "style" for my application. I need a fan that looks more like the Altura. Right now my choice is a Hunter fan I saw at menards. A 70" Brookstone with an attached light (Light option is necessary for me as well) The hunter fan clames something in the high 8K CFM and I've heard it's not too noisy.

I am certain the above fan is a wonderful unit that would certainly move a lot of air... but it would seem all Comercial fans that I've come across are very minimalist. However I have seen units such as these used in Urban condo conversions where the unit has nearly 20' celilings and only fans of this type could move enough air to do the job. (when setup correctly air conditioning was used very little)
    Uber Member

May 10, 2010, 11:11 AM

Yes it's just a basic 3 blade white or black metal fan. Not decorative unless you like the urban modern look.

Hunter fans will not move as much air as we are discussing, but they are good quality fans at that price point. DO NOT buy Hampton Bay or Harbor Breeze.
    skeletor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2010, 07:41 PM
    I just bought and installed this same unit today. I purchased it for my covered back porch, in Texas, in order to move a lot of air to keep somewhat cool and to attempt to keep the bugs away. At it's highest speed, it barely moves any air. Very disappointed. I will uninstall and return this fan next weekend if a solution is offered by either Home Depot and/or Hampton Bay.
    skeletor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2010, 07:45 PM

I just bought and installed this same fan today on my covered back porch. I hoped it would move a lot of air and help keep the bugs away. However, it seems that even at the highest speed setting, it barely moves an air at all. For $200+ I feel that I was robbed.
    I will attempt to contact Home Depot and/or Hampton Bay throughout the next week seeking to obtain a resolution. If I don't, I will uninstall and return this unit to Home Depot next weekend and I will never purchase a Hampton Bay product again!
    Uber Member

May 17, 2010, 10:48 AM

Get an Envirofan Gold or Platinum Line for your back porch. You will be much happier, and spend the same or less.
    tanner2007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 08:50 PM
    Same problem here with the Hampton Bay Altura. We are in Texas and need to cool a room with 20ft ceilings in the summer. This fan will never complete that task. It's going back to Home Depot tomorrow.
    George630 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2011, 07:53 AM
    I bought one and installed it yesterday on a 20' high ceiling. The room size is 22'X22'. It does run slowly, but it creates a extremely nice air flow. I love it...
    hijinxer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 10:14 AM
    I have 2 of these fans , they work great, but they are slow compaired to a smaller fan, if the fan doesent seem to be moving much air you might have to install the down rod, when I first put them up I installed them hugger style ,no air movement at all! Then I reinstalled with a 8 in down rod, this fan now blows your hat off.
    outtreking Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2011, 04:19 PM
    These fans use the same principles as the fans from the Big *** Fan Company. These fans are used mostly in commercial and industrial situations. If anyone has seen one, then you know what I am talking about. These things have very long blades possibly spanning 10 feet or more and move at a crawl. They are very effective though and move quite a bit of air. I think ceilingfanrepair is just trying to plug a brand he sales or something and keeps telling everyone to install his industrial fans in our decorated homes. Who wants to put their living room in a wind tunnel? Not me. Unless you live in a warehouse, there is no sense in trying to blow down the walls.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New 68" Hampton fan runs slow [ 2 Answers ]

Hampton Bay Altura runs slow, even on high speed. I suspect the motor is running perfect, just under powered. I cannot find a motor spec anywhere. Can anyone confirm my suspicion?

Hampton Bay "Belmont" Model Ceiling Fan-Reversing [ 3 Answers ]

I have had many fans through the years that were reversubke (including four in my home when I installed the Belmont), and all of them are reversible via a sliding switch on the side of the housing--as indicated by the two members who responded to my first question. However, there is no such...

Hampton Bay 54" ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

We gave a Windward II 54 inch ceiling fan we had installed in our bedroom a couple Of years ago. Purchased at Home Depot. We use it as a light and use the fan in the summer. All of a sudden it stopped working from the remote. Replaced the battery and It still doesn't control the fan though the...

Using 4.5" downrod instead of 12"-Hampton Bay ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to install a Hampton Bay-Frontera ceiling fan with the optional 4.5" downrod option instead of the standard 12". It does not appear that the 4.5" rod will fit because of the fan's decorative scroll. Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

Hampton Bay 42" ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

We need purchased a 42" ceiling fan with light fixture. We do no want the light and need to purchase the cover where the light should be. Please Help!

View more questions Search