Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slickey1604 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2008, 04:41 AM
    How do I insulate and vapour barrier cathedral ceiling
    Haw to inulate and vapour barrier a cathedral ceiling
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Jun 1, 2008, 07:39 AM
    What is the roof framing look like? If it is wood joists which is most likely, stuff the insulation between them, staple the vapor barrier on and apply your drywall.

I started using a semi-permeable vapor membrane recently due to mold and moisture issues. It allows the wall to breath. Check it out:

MemBrain Smart Vapor Retarder
    davidwiegand Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Jun 1, 2008, 03:29 PM
    However you decide to do this, it is important to provide ventilation space above the insulation for air to enter at the bottom of each rafter space and exit at the top through a ridge vent. Thus, if the rafter measures 10 inches deep, put 9 inches of insulation in the space, leaving the top one inch for air to flow. The air flow is necessary to keep any moisture from building up in the ceiling. Then staple a plastic vapor barrier to the bottom of the rafters.

If you wish to add more insulation value, you could attach rigid foam board below the rafters and apply 5/8 inch fire-rated sheetrock over the foam.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 07:58 PM
    It all boils down to how much space you have between your ceiling surface and the underside of the roof. Tell us a bit more about this space and the type of construction. Is this a log cabin?
    mach123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 07:44 AM
    How would you charge and give estimate to do a job like insulate and vapour barrier the cottage. By the hr or sq ft and what is a good number to use. Thanks
    Darren

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to insulate a cathedral ceiling in a house [ 10 Answers ]

Please tell me how to insulate a catherdral ceiling

Venting Cathedral ceiling in Florida Keys [ 8 Answers ]

I have a metal roof. I only use heat about about 4 or 5 days a year (when it gets below 60). I only use the central air about 30 days a year. The rest of the time my windows are open because I get a nice breeze. I am planning to install drywall on the walls and ceiling. It is quite a bit hotter...

Interior louvers @ peak of cathedral ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

At the 20ft peak of my cathedral ceiling there is a triangular louvered vent opening out the gable end. It's currently blocked with a thin piece of paneling (probably not the most energy efficient solution for a house in Maine). I can see how the vent might be useful in the summer though. ...

Cathedral ceiling insulation [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm building a cabin in the woods up here in Alaska. This is my first time building something out of wood besides a tree fort. I'm a welder. Anyway my cabin dimension is 16' wide by 24' long with 10' walls. The roof pitch is 12x12 (heavy snow load). I built the roof with the idea of...

Move electrical box in cathedral ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

My electrical box in my cathedral ceiling is closer to the wall as I have track lighting(6 feet).I would like to move the box to the middle of my room so I can hang a ceiling fan above my bed.Is this difficult?

View more questions Search