Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwhale Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Wiring for new Hunter ceiling fan
    I am installing a new Hunter ceiling fan and the wiring instructions do not match what have in my ceiling box. I have one red, two black and one green. The fan has one black, one white and one black and white.

Which do I connect to which?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 19, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Do you have a white wire of any type in the ceiling?

What was there before the fan and how was it wired?

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More
    jwhale Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 03:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    Do you have a white wire of any type in the ceiling?

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More
    There's no white wire. Actually, I had a firend come over and between us we worked it out, The white from the fan connects to the red from the ceiling. The green to earth and the black and black and white from the fan to the live black from the celing box (had to have a meter to test which one of the blacks was live). The remaining black from the celing isn't live and we just capped it off. Not sure what it does.
    So, the fan works from the wall switch and the light works from the chain pull.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Based on how you wired it, the fan and light should both work from the wall switch.

I bet if you leave the other black disconnected, something else in the area may not work.

Something with this wiring is fishy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with wiring a HUNTER Ceiling Fan and Light Control [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently replacing a light switch with a ceiling fan and light control. The description of what I am replacing with is: http://www.littmanbros.com/pd_hunter_27182.cfm I currently have a ceiling fan with a light kit (and it too high off the ground to have the fan controlled by a pull...

Wiring a Hunter ceiling fan with light [ 3 Answers ]

I am having trouble wiring a Hunter ceiling fan with light. In the ceiling, I have a black, white, bronze and red. In the fan I have two greens, white, black and a black/grey wire. Which go with which? Thanks. K

Hunter ceiling fan wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I need help with wiring a hunter baseball fan light switch. The old switch broke and I have a new one. There are only two wires coming from it(black and black w/with stripe). I have tried to connect with others but is not working, any help please thanks

Wiring issue with a Hunter Ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me. I just moved into a brand new home and the Master Bedroom is pre-wired for a ceiling fan. It has two wall switches, one to control the light and one for the fan. The Hunter fan has a black, a white, a black/white and two green wires. The prewire...

HELP! Wiring a pull chain in a Hunter ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, my 81 year old mother's ceiling fan pull chain broke off inside the switch. I was careful when I changed the switches, only changing one color at a time. It didn't work, so I called my electrician brother-in-law who discombooberated the whole mess, told me the switch I got was bad and went on...

View more questions Search