Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DBRE1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2008, 06:55 PM
    Wiring from my house panel to my pole barn panel
    I am going to be wiring my pole barn up soon and just need some help on the type of wire to use.

In my house I have a 200 AMP service and plan on running a 100 AMP feeder from that panel to my subpanel in the barn. (Just under 100 Feet) I am going to run a 6 gauge ground, two 4 gauge leaders, and one 4 gauge neutral. I have been recommended the 4-3 Romex cable to do the job. Does this cable come with the neutral, 2 leaders, and the ground all in one bonded cable, or does it come with just the two leaders and one neutral? Also is this a sufficient gauge/cable to use. And last can it be run underground with not conduit? If not what would you recommend?

Thank-you for your help!

Also I plan on using a 50 amp lincoln ARC Welder and a 15 amp Air compressor, other then that just lights and misc. tools such as grinders and drills.
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

May 6, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Hey, I just finished almost the same project. Except I only went about 40 foot and I used #3 on hots and grounds and #8 on equipment ground. I used THHN and buried it in conduit for the trip out from the house. It about kicked my azz to say the least. Its some tough stuff. Loll

In your case I don't know if #4 will do what you want seeing how its only rated for around 85 amps. BUT don't quote me on that lol. Might be better to go with #3 Or #2 for that haul so as you don't lose anything on the way out. I like the separate THHN runs personnaly. Through conduit it works great for my application.

ALSO, have you bought your panel for the sub box yet? You will need to separate your ground and neutral at the sub panel via a Equipment ground bar. Grounds go to it and the neutrals go to the neutral bar.

As well you will need a ground rod at the panel since this is a detached building. Attach this ground rod to your equipment ground buss as well using a #8. I used bare copper and ran it out the bottom of my panel down to the gnd rod. You might have known all this already, just dropped it in on you anyway :) :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Updating service panel to 200 amp with feeder to 100 amp panel in old house [ 8 Answers ]

I currently in the process of converting 1000 sq ft of attached garage into living space while doing this we are updating electrical service to 200 amp new service, there is 100 amp service in the old part of the house which will remain but need to be sub paneled from the new 200 amp service. I...

100 amp panel to new 200 amp panel and sub panel [ 3 Answers ]

I have a very small (1000sq feet) 1920 home in Northern New Jersey which 15 years ago was upgraded to breakers with a 100 amp panel. The whole house does have copper romex in it now, and I am adding a substantial addition (3000 sq feet) to the house and I want to put a sub panel in the new portion....

Breaker size in main panel to support sub panel? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am wiring a sub-panel to the outside of my home (50 feet from main 200 amp box). I ran 3 wire - 6 gauge. What is the largest 2 pole breaker I can put in the main panel to supply the sub-panel. TYPE NM-B 6-3 WITH GROUND 600 VOLTS CIRTEX-I EZ-STRIP (R) PLUS 17:11 2/5/07 SB/RC ...

200 AMP Service panel to 200Amp Sub Panel [ 1 Answers ]

I getting new 200Amp service to surface mount service panel. I want to run 2oo cable to bring it sub panel in my Garage which is approx 120Ft Run through ceiling. 2 Questions 1. Is there any ristriction on running a 200AMP inside house to garage ? 2. I got a dirt cheap subpanel that has...

Kenmore Elite Dryer Toe panel - how to get panel OFF! [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Model # 110.600094990 27 inch Electric Dryer - NOW How the heck does one take the Toe Panel Off / or Open this lower section of the dryer? There are two lower edge clips and two upper edge retainers. I CAN NOT get the panel to budge! This is a 7 yr old unit. Thx DAS

View more questions Search