Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Benjamin Orr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2008, 02:08 AM
    Correct capacitor and motor wiring
    Hi, I installed a new emerson condenser fan motor on a lennox unit and for you guys with a johnstone catalog it was the s88-502 and called for the g21-933 capacitor which is a 7.5 370 volt. They didn't have that capacitor in stock and gave me the g32-480 which is 50.0/7.5 440 volt. Is this OK? Is the mfd the major factor here? Also the new motor was a 4 wire instead of a 3 wire like the old motor and I capped the brown/white wire and ran the brown to the capacitor like it called for in a 3 wire run. The black wire and the white wire called to go to the loads on the contactor. It doesn't matter which side they go on does it? The condenser unit runs fine now but I want to be sure on things. Thanks for any replies, I appreciate it.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2008, 08:01 AM
    It should be fine, they gave you a dual capacitor, as long as the brown wire is hooked to the "fan" terminal on the cap. What do you have hooked to the "c" terminal on the cap?
    aldematt57 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

May 4, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Yep. You got a dual cap and simply used the fan cap portion of it.
    Always check the wiring diagram and notes that accompany any unit you service and keep a chart that shows conductor ratings in your truck.;)
    Benjamin Orr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07
    It should be fine, they gave you a dual capacitor, as long as the brown wire is hooked to the "fan" terminal on the cap. What do you have hooked to the "c" terminal on the cap?
    I kept the same wire that was connected to the "c" that was on the old capacitor and the herm, compressor wire also put the same wire back. Is this run capacitor just for the fan or is the correct size needed for the respective compressor? What is the difference between a dual and a regular cap? An extra terminal? The old cap had the same connections. Thanks for the replies
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2008, 02:33 PM
    A dual capacitor is two in one, it will help with the compressor and fan motor in one unit. The regular as you say will only operate with one motor. You would need a separate run capacitor for the fan motor and compressor. Dual and single capacitors are common in all makes and models. Good question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower motor or capacitor? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi. Yesterday the blower motor for my central air did not initially come on when tripped by the thermostat. It did come on in a subdued fashion a few minutes later. When I turned it off after a minute or so, the motor shaft was quite hot and there was an electrical smell near the unit. The...

Matching up the correct capacitor with the correct condenser fan motor? [ 4 Answers ]

How crucial is it to match the right capacitor to the right condenser fan motor? If you have the wrong capacitor, can this cause the motor to stop after running for a while, say 20 or 40 minutes? It would start up again, but would allways stop. The specs for the motor are: Emerson E-line, model no...

Motor or Capacitor? [ 2 Answers ]

How can you rule out a bad capacitor? Is the only way by ohms?

Capacitor for Blower Motor [ 2 Answers ]

My A/C fan quit working and I tried to replace the capacitor first with no results. I then purchased the blower motor but it has 4 wires instead of the 3 that my old motor had. I have a black wire, yellow, and 2 browns. My old motor had black, yellow, and 1 brown. My old motor was wired into a...

Blower motor capacitor? [ 20 Answers ]

I've got a Lennox G12 series furnace and the blower seems to have stopped working. I read a few posts and saw a reply mention giving the fan a little push start while the burners kicked on. I did this and the blower started up. I can hear the "current" feeding the motor but it seems to be having...

View more questions Search