Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charles1962 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2008, 03:45 PM
    No volatage to outlets and lights
    I was trying to find a breaker to a circuit and took the switch wires and touch them together it cause the lights to go off,but the breaker did not trip and now I can't get the lights back on also the main breaker was arcing as I turn it on and off
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Are you sure that the wires are not still in contact with each other or part of the box? It sounds like you still have a dead short. Did you mean to say main breaker is arcing or just the breaker for the line you were working on?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by charles1962
    but the breaker did not trip and now i can't get the lights back on also the main breaker was arcing as i turn it on and off
    CALL AN ELECTRICIAN right away!
    This just became a pro-only situation. Replacing a main breaker is NOT a DIY job.
    It is actually likely that the panel will need to be replaced since the buss is likely burned.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 05:11 PM
    BTW - who told you it was OK to short out wires to find a breaker?? We don't do this any more.
    If you want to continue in this trade and look like a pro I'd lose that practice right away!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many outlets/lights/rooms/other on one circuit? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a house built in the 1890s with the original knob and tubing wiring. I'm completely remodeling the bathroom and I want to rewire 3 bedrooms. At first, my plan was to use one circuit per room, but I'm not going to have enough circuits in the existing panel for that. So my question is,...

Outlets and Lights on one circuit [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, so we have a small electric project we are running. We will have 1 electric outlet and then two light fixtures. All of this is in an attic space. The outlets will be used on a regular basis (always on) for a projector and an electric screen. (Both of these are very low in draw) From the outlet,...

Mixing outlets & lights on same circuit [ 3 Answers ]

Is their any reason that electric outlets and electric lights can not be on the same circuit?

Number of outlets and lights on one residential circuit [ 6 Answers ]

I live in a town home with unfinished basement. As part of finishing my basement I am now wiring the family room. The room is almost 18' x 14' and there is one 15A dedicated circuit meant for this room. I am thinking of the following outlets to be in that circuit. 1 GFCI 9 regular receptacles...

Half of the outlets/lights won't turn on [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, We just moved into our new house and the power just got turned on. At first only half the homes outlights/fixtures gave full power. The other half gave minimal/dim power. Now the lights that were dim won't even turn on at all. What could this be? Thank you for your help.

View more questions Search