Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    remarkla Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Adding wire to a conduit with wires.
    Is there a good way to pull additional wire into a conduit with wires existing? Less than 25 feet in length 2 90 degree sweeps 1 1/2" conduit with 3 large wires exist, probably #6, don't know for sure but plenty of space for the 2 #12 I would like to add.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Sure, with power off, Push fish tape in, attach wires and pull in, 2 90's is not 2 bad.
    If the wires are free enough, you can pull a wire out, then pull in same size conductor to replace one being pulled out, plus your extra conductors, Use a wire Lubricant as well.
    remarkla Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I found another way to solve my problem.
    I am setting up a powerline network. I can use one of the other legs of the service, and
    Then use a separate fused circuit. These devices don't like circuit breakers either. I thought I was going to have to pull new conductors from the adjacent building that is connected by the conduit.
    Thanks again.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Apr 7, 2008, 07:52 PM
    OoooooooK!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Transformers are bad things to go between so just like in X-10 type systems, you will probably need a phase coupler. I'm assuming your talking about Powerline Ethernet. I'm not sure if the X-10 phase couplers such as this one Hardwired SignaLinc Phase Coupler (Signal Bridge) will work.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Before their were couplers, you had to make sure you were on Same Phase. One way is to plug long extension cord where one device will go, then go to where other device and find outlet that reads 0 Volts between Cord Hot and other receptacle Hot. If you measure 240 Volts, you are on opposite phase.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pulling wire through conduit [ 9 Answers ]

I have to pull 3, #4's and 1, #8 (150' ea.) through 1 1/2" PVC. There are 2, 90 degree bends. Am I better off to pull 1 or 2 wires at a time, with a additional pull rope, or just pull all 4 at one time. I have plenty of lubricant available. Comments? Suggestions? Thanks

Can you use Metal Conduit as ground to convert 2 wire to 3 wire? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to convert an old cinder block house from 2 wire outlets to 3 wire by adding a ground to all outlets. Since the entire house is cinder block, all the circuits from the basement breaker box are in flexible metal conduit and metal outlet boxes... Is it possible to use the metal conduit...

Two-wire conduit grounding [ 1 Answers ]

My new furnace has metal box with an electrical plug and switch on the side. Three-wire conduit (with black, white and green wires) runs from that box up to an overhead light with a metal box. An older piece of two-wire conduit (with black and white wires) runs from the light to the breaker box. ...

Pulling wire through conduit [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have 100' of 10/2 UF cable running underground through 3/4" PVC conduit. I need to pull the 10/2 out, and pull in 10/3 UF (or its code equivalent) to replace it. I have 3 questions: 1) Is 10/3 UF cable always produced in a flat configuration, or does some company manufacture a round...

View more questions Search