Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    john perry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 06:55 PM
    Tax bill
    My girlfriend has an unpaid tax bill of $10,000 and the IRS has just ordered her to pay $200 per month until the debt is paid . If she get's a debt consolidation loan and pays the entire amount off , in an attempt to have lower monthly payments , under any circumstances will the IRS be willing to reduce the amount of the debt ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2006, 07:24 PM
    She needs a tax attorney or tax accountant. The IRS has tax repayment plans and forgiveness programs. But you will have to find an expert that works primary with only the IRS.

Most of the credit counseling companies only work with the credit card companies and other lenders, they normaly are not much help with the IRS.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 5, 2006, 12:11 AM
    Fr. Chuck hit it right on the nose. A debt consolidation loan is probably not a good idea.

However, I recommend she hire an enrolled agent. They are specialized tax professionals licensed by the IRS to represent clients before the IRS. They are a LOT cheaper than either tax attorneys or CPAs, and they often do a better job (IMHO)!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 5, 2006, 09:14 AM
    Thank you Atlanta Tax, that was what I was thinking of, but I thought they had to be an attorney or CPA to practice this with the IRS.
    Thanks for the good info.
    john perry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2006, 04:51 PM
    A great help guys- Thanks !
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 5, 2006, 08:49 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bill cosby [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I would like to get in touch with Mr. (Dr. ) Bill Cosby, but have not been successful in searching for his email or snailmail address. Please don't refer me to websites that ask for a fee to give you a celebrity's address. I can't afford it (I live in the Philippines where a dollar is...

Who pays the bill [ 13 Answers ]

OK new subject. Lets say you are meeting your girlfriend at the bar to visit friends. She shows up about an hour earlier than you do. She has a few drinks before you get there. You show up, order a drink and your girlfriend tells the bar tender to put it on the tab she started because we are...

Cell phone bill [ 2 Answers ]

I need to get copies of my last 4 cell phone bills. How do I do this?

Cutting down on gas bill [ 6 Answers ]

I just got my gas bill for last month and it was $500.00, much more than the $300.00 I would accept. I live alone in a 4,300 sq ' house plus 1400 sq ' basement that I work out of. Will it help to seal off vents at the furnace to a few of my bedrooms? I have 5 bedrooms but only sleep in one and my...

Doctor's Bill [ 3 Answers ]

Last spring, I had a toothache and went to a dentist for evaluation. The finding was that a wisdom tooth was impacting a back molar and the wisdom tooth needed to be pulled while the molar needed to have a root canal and capped. The dentist forwarded me on to an oral surgeon who was outside of...

View more questions Search