Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tech_User Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 01:24 PM
    How to tap 120V out of 240V heater circuit
    Hello,

I need to tap 120V out of the existing 240V baseboard heater wirings to use a 120V 3-prong washer (the heater itself was removed, only the wiring left. I do have a 120V outlet nearby but on the other side of the doorway so I don't want to use it)

Currently there are 5 wires at the 240V wirings: 2 blacks (twisted together), 2 whites (twisted together), and a bare ground wire. There is no neutral wire.

I can light up a 120V bulb using 1 of the hot wire (white or black) and the bare ground. But I am not sure it is right/safe way to tap 120V out of the existing wiring. Please show me how.

Otherwise should I use 1 hot wire from the existing 240V (+ a bare wire for ground) and just a neutral wire from the nearby 120V outlet (safer to cross the doorway?)

Thanks
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 01:43 PM
    The ONLY way to do this safely and correctly is to re-configure this WHOLE circuit to 120v, IF you are sure you will not need it for 240v.
    DO NOT attempt to do this any of the ways you suggest. PLEASE.

Since you have two sets of "2-wires" this circuit obviously extends elsewhere. Did it feed more than one heater?
    What about the thermostat? Is it still in place, or was it mounted on the heater itself?

Mar 10, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Thank you for taking my question.

Quote: "Since you have two sets of "2-wires" this circuit obviously extends elsewhere. Did it feed more than one heater?
    What about the thermostat? Is it still in place, or was it mounted on the heater itself?"

Yes the circuit feed another heater in the next room and the thermostat is mounted on the heater (which has been removed)

Can you please explain further, what is wrong with the option "I use 1 hot wire from the existing 240V (+ a bare wire for ground) and just a neutral wire from the nearby 120V outlet (safer to cross the doorway?)"

Thanks

Mar 10, 2008, 02:39 PM
    The conductors for a given circuit MUST be in the same conduit, raceway or cable. For several reasons it is not safe to just grab a neutral from anywhere. This is not like DC automotive work where all grounds are the same.

Mar 10, 2008, 03:26 PM
    I really thought that I can "borrow" the neutral from the nearby outlet. But since this is also no good so, for now, may be I have to use the extension across the door way then.

Thanks again for your suggestions
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 04:20 PM
    You should be able to reidentify wires hook to 120 volt breaker, neutral, and ground, and you could have a 120 volt recepticles at each location and thermostat location if wire #12
    (20 Amp beeaker) or #14 on a 15 Amp Breaker.
    dragon90815 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2009, 04:57 PM

Tappinga 240v to 110v 2 wire

Sep 12, 2009, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon90815 View Post
    tappinga 240v to 110v 2 wire
    ?? :confused:
    wayne1yahoo Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2013, 05:53 PM
    To operate 120 volts A/C you need the proper wire size and Amp load. This requires one 120 lead normally black wire, one neutral wire normally white, and a ground normally bare. I would strongly advise you to run the proper wire and install to the proper single amp breaker in your panel box. You will get the Amp load off the item you want to hook up. If you are not using this 240 circuit make sure the wires are properly protected and the breaker is off. The last thing you need is someone getting electrical shock and a fire resulting from improper circuit. Do not tap off this 240 circuit.

Feb 20, 2013, 06:05 PM
    wayne1yahoo, the post you are replying to was made 5 years ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

120V or 240V for heaters? [ 6 Answers ]

I apologize in advance for seeming daft :confused: , but I am still missing the 120V vs. 240V issue for small appliances such as room heaters. There seems to be an advantage of 240 V only when you may be pushing your circuit; I gather one can put twice as much wattage (e.g. heaters) on a 20A...

120v to 240v [ 5 Answers ]

Hello! If anybody could help me with this it would be great. I'm looking at buying a festool saw from america which runs on 120v but tools and electrical equipment in austraila run on 240v. Is there anything I can do to make it work and if so is it going to be a hassle??

Replace 240v Water Heater Circuit with 120v Receptacle? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 240v electric water heater that I am getting rid of (going NG tankless). Can I use the now unused 240v wire that comes from the breaker panel as a 120 volt receptacle so I can have a plug on the wall where the old electric water heater was? The new tankless water heater is going...

240V Halogen GU10 Mains on a 120V Circuit ? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently came across some GE 240V halogen bulbs in England, they are a GU10 type base and MR16 size/shape/type(?) bulb. They are not available in North America yet and having been available for some time in the UK and Europe, it doesn't look promising they will be on the market here anytime...

120V heater tape off a 240V source. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My question is very similar to HandyJohn's and much my question was answered in is post. Mostly verifying my suspicion of needing a step down transformer here. Just wondering if you know of any simpler options I may be overlooking outside of running a dedicated line. Here's my...

View more questions Search