Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mamadukes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Installing a fan/light switch dimmer
    Hello, I installed a harbor bay ceiling fan and light. Initially the lights did work, but not the fan, so we reconnected the wires for the fan and once we did that we had the fan working but then no lights. (This is inside the fan/light box itself, not on wall) When I went to install a new switch plate with dual fan/light dimmer to a black two wire box, the fan works but the lights do not. Do I need to rewire from electrical box above ceiling fan to the switch plate box? ALso 2 white wires inside are capped off.
    There was a previous ceiling fan with lights which broke but lights and fan did work. Now when either using a switch or pull chain no lights, we are stumped. Please help, thank you
    MayMay22 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 11:55 AM
    The light kit may be defective--you can check it buy hooking up a plug in to it and seeing if it lights up--if not, I would return it.
    It it does work, check the light kit connection to the fan. Most fans come with a plug in wire harness, (where you match the colors up and plug it into the fan)
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2008, 02:10 PM
    Sounds like it's not wired right at the ceiling. What wires do you have from the ceiling, and what wires from the fan?

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a light kit on a ceiling fan where a switch enables both fan and light [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with three wires emerging from the top: white, black, red, and green. Presently the white, black, and green are hooked up to a switch and the fan works fine. The red is capped. The fan also has a chain which I intend on keeping on the medium setting indefinitely. ...

Need assistance wiring ceiling fan/light to wall switch with dimmer [ 2 Answers ]

The celing outlet has one 3-conductor wire running to the wall outlet (black, white, red, ground). I hooked up the celing fan's white to outlet's white, the ground to ground and then ceiling fan's black to black. I also hooked the fan's light wiring (blue) to the outlet black. FAN OUTLET...

Dimmer switch for a fan and light [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed a dual dimmer switch for a light and fan on the same switch. I can adjust the fan speed only from one side but every time I adjust the light switch, the fan also adjusts according to how I adjust the light. I have a black(hot) wire, a red wire and a bare copper cable coming from...

Dual Dimmer Switch for light and fan [ 2 Answers ]

I am having trouble also installing a dual dimmer switch for my light and fan. I can only get it to work both at the same time. I have a three wire (plus ground) black, white and red going from the switch box to the fan/light. And I have three wires coming from the fan/light unit and three wires...

Trouble with ceiling fan on a dual fan/light dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and dual fan/light dimmer, also from Harbor Breeze. Unfortunately, now I'm scratching my head... Do I have a bad dimmer switch? Here's the problem: 1. The light will turn on only when the fan speed on the wall switch is set to high. 2. When...

View more questions Search