Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mpg1956 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Ceiling fixture to hot wires
    I wish to hang a ceiling fixture where there are 2-two wire cables present. When I disconnect the wires it turns off power to the existing ceiling light fixtures which are connected to a 3 way switch. These wires have a constant power to them. How can I utilize these cables?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 12:13 PM
    2 2 wire cables that turn off light when disconnected are probably travellers, Depending on the position of one of the 3 ways(1 wire will be hot or the other), Neither constant, and there is no neutral from what you describe.

Mar 3, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Thanks for the answer.Now how do I connect the new ceiling fixture to the above wires so that this new fixture can be turned on & off like the existing fixtures
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 03:51 PM
    I believe what you are describing is just two fixtures controlled by a set of 3-way switches. The power (and the neutral) come from the switch to the first fixture and then go on to the second fixture. Just connect the two black wires and the black of the light together, connect the two white wires and the white of the light together. If you don't know the off setting of the switches , turn the power to the circuit off at the breaker panel.
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 04:45 PM
    You may be able to hook on to the 2 connections as hk mentiones, if that is the neutral and switchleg, and not the travellers, connect fixture, see what happens, no sparks will fly, it will work or it won't.

Mar 3, 2008, 08:13 PM
    I did hook up the fixture as mentioned above... all blacks together & all whites together... but this gave me constant light/power to the new fixture and I was unable to turn off & on this fixture... How do I control this new fixture?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 09:19 PM
    Lets start over.

a. You are replacing a light which is one of two lights on 3-way switches.
    When you say that there is 2 2-wire cables , you mean in the box where you are
    Replacing the light.
    b. You are adding a second light to to an existing light which is controlled by 3-way
    Switches. When you say there are 2 2-wire cables you mean in the box of the first
    Or original light.

Tell us a little more about what you are doing, and what you have done. Tell us what wires you have in the other fixture box.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 4, 2008, 04:48 AM
    First off, how was the old fixture connected? Or is it that you don't remember?
    This would be a big help obviously.

Second, the wires in the ceiling have NOTHING to do with the 3-way switching.
    I would have assumed you had a power feed and a switch loop, but connecting black to black and white to white would have created a direct short in that case.
    When you did connect it that way did you try the switches, both of them? If the switch was off then the short would have been avoided.

As opposed to guessing and telling you to try every different combination, which is VERY unwise and can be very unsafe, you'll need to tell us EXACTLY what wires and what colors, and how they are connected, in both switch boxes.
    DO NOT take anything else apart or un-do anymore splices!
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 06:46 AM
    If it light stays on no matter what switching, it MAY have been meant for pull chain switching? Smoke or heat detector?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing light fixture- wires ( red, black and white?) [ 24 Answers ]

Just changed light fixture. When I put the power back on the light worked but the switch on the wall will not shut the light off. In the ceiling there was 3 wires. One black,one white and one red. The fixture that I put up has only black, white and ground. So I attached the black to black,...

Bathroom Vanity: Four Lights and Wires to replace Two Light Fixture [ 3 Answers ]

We took out a two light vanity fixture that had two sets of black and white wires. The new fixture has four lights and four sets of black and white wires. Is there anything special we have to do to install it? Can we splice the wires somehow or do we have to add more wiring to the original...

Replacing a ceiling fan with fixture that only has black & white wires [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing a ceiling fan and there is a red, black and white wire in the ceiling box. It appears the switch is connected to the black (top connection) & red (bottom connection) on the light switch. The ceiling fixture only has a black & white wires. When I connect black to black and white...

Matching color-coded wires on a light fixture [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am installing a light fixture (I;m in the U.S.) and the box has a black and a white wire plus the ground wire, but my (European?) light fixture has blue, brown, and yellow-green. Can someone advise me on which wire should connect to the white and which to the black? Thank you for helping.

Ceiling fixture [ 1 Answers ]

I have a light switch that controls the electrical sockets in the wall. I had an existing electrical box in the ceiling and I put a light up but it would not work. So I put up a ceiling fan thinking it would work because of the pull string. Well nothing is working and I don't know what I should...

View more questions Search