Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

Feb 27, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Ill take a picture of mine for Don. So don if your still looking, ill post this tomorrow for you.

OK<>< thanks I was just a little worried on the neutral on this one. But then the draw won't be much. Even if I run all my tools at the same time..

Ill post the pic for you Don. Keep a look out OK

Mike
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Mike,

Thanks, I would appreciate that.

As to the "Feed Thru Panel" I have searched the NEC Code at NFPA and can find nothing is there Service Equipment that is Described as a "Feed Thru" or
    "Pass thru Panel". I also followed the link both you and Stan provide and found the device, but no pics of the inside or the NEC endorsement.

At this point, I firmly believe it is me, not knowing the correct question to ask.

Don

Feb 28, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Ok.. :) Don here is the feed through panel on my house. On the top we have the main feed and then it passes through 2 breakers then out to my house.

Stan... See the small buss with the GREEN and BARE wires. That's the one I am assuming that I have to replace so that it will take another wire. The third added wire will in turn become my equipment gnd in my shed. (out to another gnd rod of course)

Why only a 2 wire buss is beyond me. Does this sound right to do this with the grounds?

Mike
    Attached Images

Feb 28, 2008, 03:06 PM
    FYI one of these breakers will be removed so I can add the one for my new feeder line. ALSO Don yes there is another breaker in my house. In my MAIN panel with ALL my regular house breakers. You can see now what is meant by pass through lugs etc...

Mike
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 04:23 PM
    Mike,

I'm not sure that you want to share ground between this panel and a grounding rod at the shed. If you do that, you could end up with an potential difference at the two ground poles, which could cause a small but highly troublesome current on the ground wire.

It would be safer to run the 2 hots and Neutral to the shed and attach independently to the grounding rod at the shed.

Are you going to add two breakers at the pass-through and connect them to the shed or are you going to tap onto the service lugs an Neutral bus-bar to get your feed to the shed?

By the way, thanks for the pictures and your patience with me.

Feb 28, 2008, 04:57 PM
    NO. Im going to pull out one of the breakers you see, and replace it with a bigger one. Then run that out to my shed.

So your saying not to ground my wire at the feed through box but rather ground it at the shed with the rod.? So I don't need to run 4 wires to shed but rather just 3 (2 hots 1 Neutral) and then ground out to the rod from there. Is that what your saying?

So instead of my 2-2-4-6, I can go with say 2-2-4 and leave off the #6 ground wire. Just trying to get this all straight as I am about to buy the feeder cable and once I do I can't return a custom cut off the reel.

Mike
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 06:17 PM
    MR500, you DO need to run 4 wires to the shed. You will run an equipment ground and yes, this will get bonded to the panel as well and the grounding electrode conductor (ground rod wire). The neutral in the sub will be isolated (not bonded).
    This is a "typical" remote sub-panel installation.

DO NOT add a neutral wire to that add-on lug. That must be used for grounds ONLY.
    A neutral must go to the other bar. The grounds can go to either place.

You can get an add-on lug to connect a larger conductor to that neutral bar you know. You remove a screw and the larger lug gets mounted right to the bar.
    This is the route I'd go.

Great pic BTW.

Feb 28, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman
    MR500, you DO need to run 4 wires to the shed. You will run an equipment ground and yes, this will get bonded to the panel as well and the grounding electrode conductor (ground rod wire). The neutral in the sub will be isolated (not bonded).
    This is a "typical" remote sub-panel installation.

DO NOT add a neutral wire to that add-on lug. That must be used for grounds ONLY.
    A neutral must go to the other bar. The grounds can go to either place.

You can get an add-on lug to connect a larger conductor to that neutral bar you know. You remove a screw and the larger lug gets mounted right to the bar.
    This is the route I'd go.

Great pic BTW.

Yeah I'm a such a photographer. OK.. Ughh. So my original plan was to do this... I am getting 2-2-4-6 direct burial. In the panel on the house I am going to wire in 2 hots, 1 neutral.and ground.. I am also going to buy a bigger buss for the two ground wires you see in the picture. I can't add a 3rd wire to that buss so I need to get a bigger buss for the ground.

THEN in the shed, wire it all up and ground it out to a second ground rod.

Feb 29, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Ok great

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ground and neutral Wires [ 9 Answers ]

Is it proper to connect the ground and neutral to the neutral buss? I am installing a sub panel from a 200amp svc to a 125 service using 6g. My sub box does not have a separate ground buss rather only 2 neutral buses with a crossbar. I was informed that I can put the neutral and ground on that...

Old home with no ground wires [ 15 Answers ]

I'm changing out some 2 prong receptacles in an old home that has no ground wire (ie, the electrical cables have a hot and neutral, no ground wire). I'd like to install new 3 prong receptacles. Is this OK? What are the implications of doing this? Thanks!

Connecting ground wires on ceiling fans [ 2 Answers ]

I am attempting to install a ceiling fan. I have a question about attaching the ground wires. There are three ceiling wires (red, white and black). There is a green wire coming from the ceiling bracket and one from the downrod. Where do I attach the ground wires? Amateur installer

Are my ground wires connected safely? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had some indications of power surges in my home and called the electric company. The technician they sent out said that the ground had settled and did some work on the box in my front yard (our power lines are underground) and to the ground wires on the exterior of my home. After he...

Ceiling Fan Ground wires? [ 2 Answers ]

So I took my Aloha breeze ceiling fan apart again. Now I connected all the wires like the instructions say. I connected the black ceiling to the red remote, white ceiling to the white remote, the blue remote to the blue fan, black remote to black fan, white remote to white fan, and both green wires...

View more questions Search