Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 19, 2006, 12:18 PM
    Receptacle in bathroom vanity fixture
    Hi all,

I was helping out in my sister's house last night (just being a helpful lil' handyman brother :D), and while fixing something in one of the bathrooms, I noticed something very interesting: there is a vanity light above the mirrior that has a single receptactle built into the base of the fixture itself. Since bathroom receptacles have to be GFCI protected, and the light was [obviously] not, this got me wondering:

1) Would a non-GFCI receptacle like that be legal, sice technically it's not a "receptacle device" installed a box, but merely a separate feature of a larger, UL-listed device? After all, it's been installed since the house was built (sometime in the 1990s), so the inspector at the time obviously didn't complain too much about it. Still, it doesn't seem to likely to be allowed...
    2) Upon removing the fixture and checking inside, I discovered that the receptacle was not actually connected; i.e. the electrician only connected the feed to the leads of the bulb sockets, but left the leads to the receptacle just sitting there, not attached to anything. Could that be the solution to the mystery: that it is actually is illegal, but the inspector did not complain because he saw it's not connected to anything and that it's only there to fill up the hole in the fixture body?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2006, 12:43 PM
    It was common for electricians to automatically not connect the cabinet receptacle because they knew it was illegal to use the outlet as a non GFI, and not conecting was a typical solution agreeable with the inspector. Beileve me , inspectors check this all the time.

However , there should be a standard wall GFI receptacle near the vanity/sink,so that there is the required GFI recpetacle in the bathroom.

Sometimes, if the owner requested the use of the vanity outlet, we could always install a GFI circuit breaker, whci has two downsides, breaker was always very expensive and the entire circuit was GFI protected. Back then, bathroom receptalces were allowed on lighting circuits, and did not require only bathroom receptacles on a separate circuit.

The practice was accepted and well known because when the code went into effect, they always allow manufactures to catch up and empty their inventories , sometimes for a few years. I don't find these outlets any longer.

Hope this answer your question.

Jan 19, 2006, 02:21 PM
    Yes it does. Thank you very much.

One more thing, though: do they make any switches that are the same size as those receptacles? I would really like to swap out that receptacle and put in a switch instead (i.e. to be able to control the vanity fixture from a switch directly connected to it, instead of across the room).
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2006, 03:14 PM
    I have not seen anyone make a switch that fits in the 1 inch x 1 inch hole for the outlet. You can blank up the hole and use one of many other switches that need a smaller hole.

Jan 19, 2006, 05:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    I have not seen anyone make a switch that fits in the 1 inch x 1 inch hole for the outlet. You can blank up the hole and use one of many other switches that need a smaller hole.
    That's what I originally planned on doing - I even purchased a pull-chain switch from Lowe's last week already. I was just hoping, when I saw the outlet, that I could neatly replace it with an identical-looking switch. Oh well, I guess I'll just drill a hole in it and put in the pull chain...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Vanity Light Height.. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello again, everyone! Would anyone please tell me what a good "standard" height is for a vanity light, whether it be a single sconce or a 3-light wall-mount fixture? Any suggestions extremely appreciated! Is there any "rule of thumb?" :confused:

Replacing a bathroom vanity light [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a bathroom vanity light and would like the replacement to also have an electrical outlet since there is none in this 1960ish bathroom. Do they make these anymore? If not, in what other way could I get both a light and an electrical outlet in the bathroom? Thanks

Outlet in Bathroom over vanity... [ 5 Answers ]

Hello everyone - I am adding a linen closet to my bathroom in a corner where I currently have a GFI outlet. Therefore, this outlet will be covered. I plan on connecting to the load side of the outlet and running some wire through the wall so that I can still easily access an outlet in the...

Receptacle testers [ 4 Answers ]

When using a standard receptacle tester on a GFI circuit, I get a Hot/Ground Reverse reading. When I test the same GFI circuit with a GFI Receptacle Tester, I get an Open Neutral reading. The problem was a loose neutral wire . Are these normal readings to expect from the two testers? ...

Receptacle wiring [ 3 Answers ]

I want to add a receptacle to a box I have in my pantry that has an existing light switch. I have a three wire load coming in to the box from the circuit breaker. The red is wired to the switch and the blacks and whites are connected with wire nuts. The three wires feed other boxes in my kitchen....

View more questions Search