Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raymone31 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 03:40 PM
    15 or 20 amp gfci outlet
    I am installing a GFCI outlet. I think my house is 20 amp but I am not sure. Will it be a problem if I install a 15 amp outlet? I am using the outlet for a clothes dryer which plugs into an ordinary wall outlet.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 05:27 PM
    You can put your 15 amp outlet on a 20 amp circuit, you just can't put a 20 amp outlet on a 15 amp circuit. So your clothes dryer is gas and just uses the ordinary outlet to power the drum and controls, right?
    raymone31 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 10:59 AM
    Thanks balllengerb1. My clothes dryer (aptartment size) is an electric and it does have an ordinary plug.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 11:02 AM
    Wow, an electric clothes dryer that doesn't require 240 volts, have not seen one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

GFCI Outlet and Related Circuit Breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 15 amp GFCI outlet that is connected to a 15 amp outside breaker. When using electrical items on the circuit, my outside breaker is tripping without the inside GFCI breakers tripping. I am wondering whether the outside breaker is faulty or should be 20 amps. It doesn't make sense to me...

Gfci outlet [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have installed a small pond. I called an electrician to put a GFCI outlet near the pond. He told me I could save a significant amount of money if I dig the trench for the line. Well... I had called Miss Utility before digging the hole for the pond and there is a Cox Cable line that...

3 Questions about updating to a GFCI outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I recently attempted to update a basic 3-prong outlet to a GFCI outlet (so that I could connect a do-it-yourself, low-voltage, exterior lighting kit to this outlet). It seemed to work for the most part, but I have three issues of concern. 1) The breaker for this circuit (and this outlet seems...

Must you re-wire outlet to outlet? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there. Great site. I am rewiring my 1950's house with plaster walls, older wiring had no ground. Because it is one story, and extremely tight in the attic on the outer walls, I ran a 12/2 home run for the outlets, to a big (1900?) junction box, then "spidered" out to each individual...

View more questions Search