Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arubbo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 01:42 PM
    How to add 300 a subpanel to 2oo a main panel
    How do you add a 300a subpanel from a 200 a main panel to install tankless water heater
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Biggest instaheat for house I have done, was 100 Amps. I hope you meant 30 Amps, with #10 wire,
    If this is the Case. You will need Number 10 wiring, 2 hots and 1 ground. I would get like an indoor disconnect(You see them used at inside Air Conditioners)A 2 pole breaker in the Electrical Panel, You don't need a breaker in th disconnect.
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Jan 15, 2008, 06:05 AM
    Strat... I've seen some huge power hogs for these things. A 30A heater would be a VERY small heater.

Arubbo... most homes I've seen with tankless heaters large enough to properly serve the home have 300A to 400A service. You are going to need to upgrade your main panel and service to your home.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Cobra, Are you thinking he has a 300 Amp Instaheat? He could, I'm thinking Typo?
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Jan 16, 2008, 06:02 AM
    I'm not sure what he meant to type Strat. But for example, I saw a Stiebel model recently that was a 150A unit that required three separate 60A breakers. That was a whole house unit. If it's just a 30A unit, it's a small one for the kitchen only, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert Main Panel to Subpanel? [ 3 Answers ]

After rough-wiring my old house to a new 200 amp Main Panel (wired-in but not yet connected to the service line and still using the original 100 amp fuse-type panel) I've decided to build a major addition that makes the originally planned service entrance a poor location. Question: Can I...

100 Amp Subpanel from 200 Amp main panel [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a subpanel to be used to supply branch circuits to a new kitchen, laundry, garage, and some additional lighting and receptacles. The 200 amp main panel is about 50 ft away but because of the obstructions, we'll need about 85 feet of cable to connect the 100 amp subpanel. Since...

Main panel as subpanel [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I stumbled across your forum and found a question that was close to mine, but have a more detailed query. I am wiring a shop/apartment. The building has a 200 amp service panel. The main loads (a/c, range) and dedicated loads (fridge, smoke detectors, etc) are branch circuits on the main...

Subpanel or main service panel? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I want to put a subpanel in my shop, and was wondering if a main service panel that they sell at say Home Depot is the same thing as a subpanel? I have a 200 amp service to my house, and want to put a 100 amp subpanel in my shop. Does the term "subpanel" just mean that it is wired off the...

Putting a subpanel side by side with a main panel [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am looking to put a subpanel side by side with a main panel. The sub panel will be connected to the main by a 1 & 1/2 inch metal conduit since the two panels will be electrically connected by the conduit - do I still need to separete the neutral and ground bus? Thanks, Martin

View more questions Search