Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justanncguy74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 04:12 PM
    Wiring baseboard heaters for 240 volt, need a diagram?
    Need help wiring a 240 volt baseboard heater. Would prefer a diagram or site that has one.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Just something I had hanging around.
    justanncguy74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Tjrussell this is justanncguy74 again
    Just want to make sure I have this diagram right? My baseboard heaters (2of them ) , that are 240 volt have built in thermostats. They are both 20 amp. If I run them both off the same CB should I use a 60 amp CB? And is there a different diagram I should use for the built in thermostat? There is a red and black on the thermostat and two black on what I believe is a regulator? I have it hooked to 120 w/ no problem, but it does not put out near the heat I need in the Mts of WV lol. I would so appreciate your help again. Thanks man. Jay
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Jan 9, 2008, 06:24 AM
    First, what size wire are you running for the circuit? That will probably determine the size breaker more than anything. This is before we ever get into the current demands on your circuit. I'm betting TK gave you the circuit designs you needed.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 08:31 AM
    If they require 20 Amps, I would pull a pair of 10's to each and on 30 Amp Breakers.
    If they require a 20 Amp circuit, you could pull a pair of 12's and on 20 amp breakers.
    If you run a 240 volt heater on 120 volts it will not provide the Heat of 240 Volts.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 03:38 PM
    Just wire it like the diagram, assume the t'stat is built into the heater. You must use a 2 pole breaker to deliver 240 volts to the heater.

I have no idea how you have it wired for 120 volts, that obviously does not work.

Before I advice on breaker and wire size, I need more info than each heater is 20 amp. I need to know how long they are or the wattage of each unit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search