Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    made2last Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Reverse switch on ceiling fan doesn't work
    My ceiling fan works great even though it looks old. The problem is that it will not reverse for the winter. There is a switch and it works great for summer. It just sits and hums when I switch it over. Do I have to throw out the fan or is there any chance it can be fixed. THanks.
    hajt70 Posts: 55, Reputation: 3

Jan 5, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Ceiling fan only has one motor and the motor works, so I think the problem maybe the switch is not working or not wired correctly.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 04:23 PM
    Many fans use a double pole double throw switch for reverse, crossing the corners with jumpers. Which is like a polarity switch, or swaps 2 wires. You could change switches, probably defective.
    There is 4 wires going to this switch, You can eleminate switch if you are in a remote area
    And can't get replacement, or for a test, you need 2 wire nuts, one way forward, one way reverse. If that doesn't work, replacement switch won't work either.
    Do with power off.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 05:01 PM
    What make/model is the fan? Pic would help.

Chances are it is a bad reverse switch or a bad connection at the reverse switch.

Spraying it with QD Electrical Contact CLeaner (power off) and then working the switch back and forth several times might solve the problem.
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 05:18 PM
    2 other things, Don't switch directions while fan is running, and be sure switch is all the way over in each direction.
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 05:26 PM
    What happens is, if a switch has been in one position for a very long time, the contacts for the other positions get dirty and oxidized and whatnot. I had two 3 speed fans I pulled out of a restaurant that would only work on low because they'd been run on low for 30 years. Cleaned the switches and they work on all speeds.
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 05:33 PM
    One last thing, from ceilingfanrepair. If you don't have a cleaner, with fan or switch off, move switch back and forth several times(20?). Try again
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 05:35 PM
    In my experience cleaner will likely be necessary, and might not even be enough. In the case of the fans mentioned above I had to disassemble the switches and clean the contacts with steel wool.

Strat, you seem to love to discuss things, if you ever want to talk ceiling fans I have all the IM programs.
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Will do CeilingFan, have to go, on cleaners, I like Tuner Cleaners(Safe on plastics, leaves no residue).(verify new products)I used Channel Master.
    hajt70 Posts: 55, Reputation: 3

Jan 5, 2008, 07:58 PM
    If I were you, I would go to Home depot or Lowe's to buy the new switch and swap it out (make sure power is off). If it works, keep the switch. If it does not work, take the switch back and buy the new fan.
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 08:04 PM
    I have never seen at stores mentioned, Maybe:
    Digi-Key Corporation - USA Home Page
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hajt70
    If I were you, I would go to Home depot or Lowes to buy the new switch and swap it out (make sure power is off). If it works, keep the switch. If it does not work, take the switch back and buy the new fan.
    I have seen reverse switches in the ceiling fan department of Lowe's, etc. But it's just a standard DPDT slide switch rated high enough for a fan (120vAC 1A or greater).

Don't suggest anyone buy a new fan until we've determined the problem. That's just a waste.
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Jan 6, 2008, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hajt70
    If I were you, I would go to Home depot or Lowes to buy the new switch and swap it out (make sure power is off). If it works, keep the switch. If it does not work, take the switch back and buy the new fan.
    C'mon. Home Depot and Lowe's aren't diagnostic funding centers. Determine the problem by using proper diagnostic technics... then buy the switch if necessary. Don't just throw parts at it and expect these companies to pay for your mistakes. That's what drives up prices for all of us.
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2008, 06:41 PM
    Good point Cobra.
    fmcenery Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 27, 2011, 11:34 AM
    Good luck finding the switch but thanks to above I disassembled the swithc and cleaned. Be brave so simple and it worked.
    Graymouzer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2012, 01:12 PM
    I had this problem. Flipped the switch back and forth a few dozen times and it started working
    GJBevins Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2012, 04:54 PM
    That did it for me. I used a first squirts of Team Orion Remote Control Truck engine spray, slid the switch back and forth a few times, and YES, it started working in the direction I'd hoped for. This fan had gallons of water dripping down it during Hurricane Charlie in 2004 and I decided to work on it after not using it since. After replacing the 3-speed pull-chain switch after it broke off years ago, I chose to have the downward breeze too. Thanks for the suggestions.
    defdev Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2012, 11:56 AM
    You are a genius! Thanks
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2012, 04:40 PM
    Great if that works, if not:
    GS-113-0512 CW Industries | SW102-ND | DigiKey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan, reverse blade w/ no reverse on remote [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a house and 1 fan is in reverse. I can't find a switch on the fan and there's no reverse on the remote. This is a Hampton Bay fan. The remote says it's model: UC7083T. I also thought there must be a trick with the remote.

Ceiling Fan Reverse Switch [ 12 Answers ]

I have seen a few topics on this so far but I am unable to find the answer to my question. I know the reverse switch is faulty but I am not able to return the fan as it is out of warranty. Does anyone know where I can order a replacement switch to install?

Ceiling fan reverse switch [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My wife & I had two Hampton Bay Miramar celing fans installed in our living room by an electrician. We can't find the owner's manual for these fans to locate the switch on the fan housing that changes the direction the blades turn. The switch isn't in the normal location where Hampton...

How does a ceiling fan five speed switch work? [ 4 Answers ]

Looking for information on how does 5 speed fan rotary switch for a ceiling fan increase and decrease the fan speed at any given time.

Ceiling Fan reverse switch [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone here know the location of reverse/forward switch on a Hampton Bay 60" industrial 3 blade fan?

View more questions Search