Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    corster Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 10:22 PM
    Intermitant Furnace Problems - It'll flash but not light
    Hi there... I've been having this problem with my furnace... it began the end of last year, I had a tech come and give my furnace a good cleaning, and it appeared to work fine but now that the cold has settled in the same problem is coming back.

I have an Oil Furnace, about 11 years old "CLARE" is the make, occasionally, I'll come home to a cold house. The only way I can turn on the furnace is by pushing the reset button. Sometimes, the furnace will run for a few cycles... sometimes for a few days with no problem, and then it shuts down. Other days, I do this "resetting" 4 or 5 times a day just to keep the house livable. Upon observation, I noticed that what was happening was as follows. I would push the reset button... the fan would then come on for a few seconds, and then the light would flash inside briefly like it was trying to light... (but not stay lit) a few seconds later the fan would turn off... this is what happening, but for whatever reason, sometimes it allows the furnace to cycle over and over again, and other times, as I said, I'm running to reset multiple times in a day..

Any idea what's going on here? Thanks a bunch !
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 27, 2007, 02:43 PM
    You probably could use a complete tune up and check on your furnace. On oil it should be done every year. Call for service.

Dec 2, 2007, 09:15 AM
    I had that done last year, cost me about $200.00 so that's why I'm thinking there is something more going on... any ideas?

Dec 2, 2007, 11:18 AM
    From your description of a temporary flame in the furnace it seems to me you might have a oil supply problem. An intermittent oil supply will definitely cause your problems but what causes it is another thing.

You mentioned ((the fan would then come on for a few seconds)). Which fan? The oil burner fan that blows air into the burner OR the main furnace blower motor?

Dec 7, 2007, 08:18 AM
    I watched the process... I'm not sure which fan... but here's the way it goes normally... the furnace/fans turn on for a few seconds, then, the little light inside is ignited and stays on and that turns on the rest of the furnace, and everything is fine... BUT.. When I'm having the problem the light just flashes (doesnt stay on) and then after a few seconds the fans that were on turn off (probably some sort of cut off some point because the only way to start the furnace is to hit the reset button after that)...

Dec 7, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Could be a intermittent hi volt transformer or in the wiring to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adobe Flash Player Problems [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a new Toshiba laptop with windows vista on it. I have NEVER been able to view flash movies on YouTube or any other site. When I go to download adobe flash player 9 from the website, it doesn't do anything. I then download it manually and it says it did installed, but when I go see if...

Goodman GMP125-4 3 times light flash [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have a old GMP125-4. That what's going on : Thermostat in my room sending signal to furnace.Motor starting work and then is nothing... I can see trouble code (flashing light) it is 3 flashes and long pause, again 3 flashes and pause... Do somebody know what that code is mean ? - I...

Intermitant hot water [ 10 Answers ]

I have a single handle Delta shower faucet (shower only, no tub) that gets hot water for less than a minute and then goes all cold. Someone told me there is a regulator that can be adjusted. I have no idea where it is and how to adjust it.

USB flash drive problems in windows XP [ 4 Answers ]

Hii, Whenever I plugin any kind of usb flash drive to my gateway profile 5 machines running windows xp(sp2) the computer reboots automatically before detecting the drive. I think this problem started after installing sp2 in my machine. This problem is really frustating. Any kind of help or...

View more questions Search