Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marcus Mullings Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 08:40 PM
    Gas pipe tester
    How can I borrow,rent or find cheap (used) gas pipe tester for my own house pior to hookup by a company?-there has been no changes or additions-new connections were done up to code by a plumber 4 yrs ago
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 15, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Yes there's a device you can make yourself. You failed to mention the pipe size so I'm going to assume it's 3/4". You take a 3/4"(or your pipe size) coupling and bush it down to accept a snifter valve. A snifter valve looks like the air valve on your tire except it has threads at the base. Snifter valves can be picked up at some hardware stores and most auto parts stores. Since most air compressures that plug into a cars cigarette lighter have a gauge I would pump up the gas line with that or a bicycle pump with a gage.
    OK! Ya got 10 pounds of air in the gas line what now? We check for leaks by taking a mixture of water and dish detergent and painting each joint with it. If you see bubbles then you have a leak. No bubbles and you're home free. If the pipe's under ground or not out in the open then pressure it up, let it set for a few bhours and look for a pressure drop. Good luck, Tom
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2007, 08:58 PM
    Tom, that 10 pounds will blow the graphite grease out of an old style gas valve. I think they are looking for an electronic sniffer that detects gas without having to pressurize the system. I got mine for 300 bucks at an air conditioner supply house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to pressure-test gas pipe [ 15 Answers ]

Hi again! First, MANY thanks to you experts for the help I've gotten in the last month. I passed my plumbing inspection for my new bathroom and kitchen! Now, on to one more little one. I'm installing gas lines. The house was previously on oil heat and all other appliances were electric,...

Vent pipe for propane gas stove [ 3 Answers ]

Could anyone tell me when venting a gas stove do I only need to use typeB vent to go through the wall and regular vent the rest of the way.

Gas (black) pipe in water line [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I used a 9 inch section of black pipe (gas pipe) in my water line, because it was the right length and saved a trip to the store for galvanised. My wife tells me that this will cause the water to smell and taste bad, is she right? It'll be a major pain to replace that section, but she says I...

Natural gas pipe in bsmt is touching gas pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and in the basement the single wall furnace flue is touching the dark iron natural gas pipe, just before it enters the brick chimney , the water heater also has single wall flue that runs through wood structure. The previous owner put coffee cans around the flue, he cut off...

Gas pipe from house to garage? [ 2 Answers ]

I know this pipe requires an outside shutoff valve at the destination (garage). Does it also require a valve at the source (house)?

View more questions Search