Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marklar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2005, 03:09 PM
    Thermostat wiring question
    OK, I have an old thermostat that needs to be replaced. Just to be thorough, the old thermostat is a Goodman mod #HPTD18-60. It's a 24v line that controls both heating and cooling and has a multistage heat pump.

The new thermostat is a honeywell RTH7400D. The old thermostat uses the following wires:

Y, COM, R, G, W2, E/W3, O, B

The new thermostat uses R, O/B, Y, G, C, L, E, AUX.

The problem is that the O and B on the new theromstat are on the same connection. It says that if the old thermostat had both an O and B wire then I need to contact honeywell. I did that and got no help. They just said to call someone to install it.

Where should all the old wire go in the new thermostat?

I don't want to spend a service call fee for soething that should not be this hard to install.

Thanks for any advise.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2005, 08:17 PM
    If you didn't get any instructions on the functions of the contacts of the thermostat, I would go back to where you bought it. If they can't help, ask for your money back. I think for what you pay for the more complex thermostats, you are entitled to at least a list of the terminals and their functions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat Wiring Question [ 1 Answers ]

While installing a new thermostat I accidentally attached the blue wire (common) to the heat damper terminal on the thermostat. It is a common 5 wire set-up with red being hot, white being the heat relay, the yellow being compressor contact and the green being the fan. I lost power to the...

Basic heat only thermostat wiring question [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing a Mears w/ a Lux LV2-1042: Double Pole, Line Voltage, Heating Only Thermostat. This is radiant floor elec heat. Am not sure which wires connect to which. The thermostat has 4 wires (2 red, 2 black) Out of the wall comes, from the top- 1 black wire (hot), 1 white (neutral) and the...

Old honeywell thermostat with clock - wiring question [ 4 Answers ]

I'm replacing an old honeywell thermostat with a new digital. The old one has the standard two wires - R and Wh, but then it has two C wires. I think they just provide power for the clock, and I'm wondering if I can just close off that circuit. The clock has two metal brush connections that...

Yet Another Thermostat Wiring Question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I hate it when my first post in a forum is a question, instead of a contribution, but maybe I can field something else in another forum for Karma :) Anyway, I'm installing a new Honeywell RHT7400D Heating/AC thermostat. Its replacing an analog Weathertron thermostat, hooked up to a heat...

Thermostat Wiring Question [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks in advance for your help... I just purchased a large older home, and I want to replace the thermostats. They are Honeywell Chronotherm III's and the digital display's are impossible to read. I'm thinking of replacing them with Hunter AutoSaver 550's. The house has a hydro air system,...

View more questions Search