Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clswitzer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Ceiling Fan 4 light fixture wiring
    I have a ceiling fan with a 4 light fixture I need to know how to wire the light switch. I have one white wire, one black wire, and one green wire available. The green wire is labeled lights. Thanks in advance.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 4, 2007, 10:26 PM
    Cl,

You have a Black, White and Green available from where, inside the fan housing or from the electrical box in the ceiling?

Is this fan being fed from the panel and then to a wall switch and back to the fan? Or is power being brought to the wall switch and then to the fan?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2007, 05:46 AM
    In the USA green is always a ground. I guess the label could mean ground for the light. Normally both the fan and house wiring would have black, white, and bare or green. The black would be hot and switched. Connect black to black, white to white, and bare and greens together. If the box for the fan has more than one cable with black, white, and bare wires, leave all the other wires connected as they are.
    clswitzer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 07:06 AM
    The wires are inside the fan housing. The fan is fwire to the house wiring to a wall switch. The wires I am talking about are inside the fan for the light kit wiring.
    Quote Originally Posted by donf
    Cl,

You have a Black, White and Green available from where, inside the fan housing or from the electrical box in the ceiling?

Is this fan being fed from the panel and then to a wall switch and back to the fan? Or is power being brought to the wall switch and then to the fan?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2007, 11:08 AM
    You should have white and green or bare from the fan for the light. You may have a blue or black with a stripe as the hot wire from the fan. If you don't have wires from the fan meant for the lights, go to where the house wiring ties into the fan wiring and connect all 3 blacks, whites, and green or bares together. If the light wires won't reach, splice in a piece.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2007, 08:39 PM
    I agree, you shouldn't have a green. Maybe the wire just looks green?

What make/model fan and light do you have?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

How to change a lightbulb in a ceiling fan/light fixture [ 3 Answers ]

OK, I know this is a stupid question but I'm a new homeowner. I have a ceiling fan and the lights are out. There is a glass bulb thing over the light bulbs. How do I get at the light bulbs? I tried pulling the glass off and that didn't work. It doesn't seem like unscrewing it works either. ...

Ceiling Fan Light Fixture problem? [ 10 Answers ]

Well the fan / light combination is only just over a year old. It has a remote control for the three speeds of the fan and the light on / off. Basically the other morning when trying to turn on my light - it wasn't turning on. The bulbs had power to them as the filaments were barely lit up,...

Ceiling fan light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to replace the ceiling fan light fixture in this house... how do I get the plastic connectors off the wiring to put on new connectors - the connectors in the light kit I bought do not fit the wiring in the ceiling fan, so I need to replace the connectors, right? I'm soooooooo clueless!

Ceiling Fan light cord & Fixture [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Hampton Bay Ceiling fan that has been working fine for a year or so. There are two questions I have for anyone who can offer assistance: 1. The light cord doesn't work. Well, actually, it works sporadically, but rarely. When I pull the cord, it seems to not catch whatever it's...

View more questions Search