Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nutsnvolts Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2007, 07:28 PM
    Tieing in to knob and tube
    When tieing in 14/2 at switch box, what do you do with the neutrals?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Tie together.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 27, 2007, 08:31 AM
    We could really use more details here. If this is a switch box you might not have/need any neutrals in the box, just a black/hot coming in and a white w/black tape going out.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2007, 01:19 PM
    If you are only breaking the hots to operate light(s), do not cut the white neutral, leave it intact and remove the insulation that goes around all three wires. Then cut the blacks and hook one to the bottom of the switch, and one to the top, make a "pigtail" for the bare grounds and hook to the ground screw.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Knob and tube (adding a switch and fixture) [ 6 Answers ]

First let me say hello everyone and second let me tell you all that I am very new to knob-and tube wiring... I hope I can explain this enough to get some help from you all. Ok here goes... I have been trying to figure this out for some time... I wanted to replace a ceiling fixture in my dining...

Tieing into a septic tank [ 1 Answers ]

I want to tie another line into my septic tank. Can I tie it into the line before the tank or does it have to go into the tank? HOW IS THE BEST WAY TO DO IT?

Tieing in a backup sump pump to existing copper discharge pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know if I can tie in a backup sump pump into an existing copper discharge pipe of 1.5 inches. The back up pump comes with a "y" connector made of PVC. How do I connect the PVC connector into the copper discharge pipe? Thanks.

Tieing knob and tube to 14/2 [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me how to tie knob and tube wiring into 14/2 wiring. This is a hundred plus year old house and I want to upgrade... Thank you Lou G.

Knob and Tube tie-in [ 13 Answers ]

I apologize if I missed this info elsewhere. I have an 80 YO bungelow with seemingly healthy knob and tube wiring. The house has a combination of old and new wiring depending on when past work was done. My question is what is the safest, code friendly or preferred way to mate the old K&T to new...

View more questions Search