Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jtokach Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2007, 02:04 PM
    15 amp outlet on 20 amp circuit and load
    Hi,

I have a 20A circuit that currently has 15A outlets on it. Currently, only my fridge (11.5A) and another outlet is on this circuit.

Q1:
    If I connect 15A outlets in a series with 12/2, does that effectively lower the rating of the rest circuit to 15A? Can I wire in this as this example shows and still have that 20A outlet work properly:

Sub panel --> 15a --> 15a --> 20a --> 15a

Q2:
    I want to wire up the circuit with outlets to look like this. Do you see any issues here?

Sub panel --> 15A (range fan <3 amps) --> 15A GFCI --> 15A --> 15A (fridge 11.5A) --> 15A (phone 500mA)

Thanks,

Jim
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2007, 04:48 AM
    Having a 15 amp outlet on a 20 amp circuit limits the draw on that outlet to 15 amp, since a true 20 amp plug cannot be inserted into it. You may have 15 or 20 amp outlets on a 20 amp circuit.

Your plan as shown is fine.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2007, 07:26 AM
    If you could get frige on own circuit, may help from losing food in the future. Say Range Fan shorts, trips breaker, may go unnoticed.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Oct 21, 2007, 12:10 PM
    I believe the OP is trying to ask about the affects when a load is added to a series circuit. If what I assume is correct, then in short: resistance in series will affect the volatge, and current, if resistance is changed. I recommend reading up on series circuits.
    Ironbull Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2011, 08:32 PM
    Comment on tkrussell's post
    How can it be fine? Example would be if you were selling your house and the inspector noticed the 20 amp wire at the breaker, wouldn't that be too much? U would need a 15 amp breaker right? To be safe? That's what a breaker is for?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2011, 05:17 AM
    Notice in the photos a 15 amp plug in left photo can enter a 15 or 20 amp receptacle in right photo. A 20 amp plug can only enter a 20 amp receptacle.

If a 15 amp appliance with a 15 amp plug is plugged into a 15 amp receptacle protected by the 20 amp breaker, how is that a problem?

And before any ruling is accepted by a home inspector regarding electrical, consult with a licensed electrician.
    Attached Images

Ironbull Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2011, 12:29 PM
    Comment on tkrussell's post
    That's a very nice reference picture!
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 13, 2011, 01:40 PM

Ironbull,

Please do not respond to an thread by using the comment button. Use the "Answer this question" block.

Did you understand TK's response?

I can run 12/2 all over a residence if I did not mind spending the extra money on 12/2 versus 14/2 cable.

There are two different ampacity rulings here.

1) The ampacity of the load cannot exceed the listed ampacity of the wire. For example, I cannot take 14/2 cable and put a 20 amp load on it. It will eventually cause a fire.

2) I can use a cable listed for a larger ampacity to carry a lower ampacity. There are several reasons for doing this, none of which I am willing to get into right now, but here's two hints: Motors and Voltage drop.

I can use a 12/2 cable to carry a 15 amp circuit and 15 amp load.

What I cannot do is mix and match. For example, if I have a mix of 12/2 and 14/2 in the circuit, the ampacity of that circuit must be 15 amp. The weakest link (so to speak) being the 14/2 cable.

The standard household receptacle is listed for both 15 and 20 usage. Code speaks to limit the loads should have on this receptacle. As TK let you know earlier, the plug for a 15 amp piece of equipment can fit in either a 15 amp or 20 amp receptacle, the inverse is not true. A 20 amp plug cannot be used in a 15 amp device.

Logic dictates here. A plug for a device that is designed for a 15 amp circuit will not draw more than 15 amps. If it did, it would be an indication of a failure when the breaker trips.

However, a 20 amp plug for a 20 amp piece of equipment will most likely cause a 15 amp breaker to trip.

Clear as mud?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maximum load on 20 amp circuit breaker [ 14 Answers ]

I am aware of certain normal maximums. I guess I'm looking for somebody to tell me that I'm pushing things too far, or not. I want to hook up a portable air conditioner (Sunpentown WA-1220E) which is rated at 950 watts (and, mysteriously, at 9.0 amps) along with an HP 4Si printer, which is rated...

20 AMP Circuit with 15 AMP Receptical, is this OK, and in code? [ 5 Answers ]

This is sort of similar to the other thread, but my problem is the house I bought is wired with 12, all the breakers are 20AMP except for the 30AMP for the AC and Dryer. When me and my dad were changing the power recepticals, which were 15 amp, someone told us that we should have 20 recepticals, or...

15 amp outlet on 20 amp circuit [ 5 Answers ]

Can I use a 15 amp outlet on a 20 amp circuit. Wire with 12 gauge wire.

20 AMP Outlet on a 30 AMP Circuit [ 7 Answers ]

I have a question regarding putting a 20 amp outlet on a 30 amp circuit. I'm replacing appliances in my kitchen, and there's currently a 30 amp, 240V, 3-wire + ground feed to the location where the oven is located, on a 30 amp, double pole breaker. I'm planning to install an electric oven (240V)...

15 amp circuit load [ 1 Answers ]

Will a 15 amp circuit safely handle a 2000 watt resistance heater?

View more questions Search