Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    etanner37 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Getting power to lights and switches, but they won't come on
    Lost power the other day and flipped the breakers to get them back on. Worked but I lost power in the laundry room shortly after. I replaced the breaker and bought a volt reader and I'm getting power to every breaker. I checked every outlet and even the ones that won't work are getting power to them. The lights aren't working either. The switches and the fixtures are getting power but they won't turn on. I even wasted money buying new switches and it did no good. You already answered me about this question but I am hoping that this new info might help you understand the situation better and help me fix it. By the way, I did try replacing the light bulbs, so its not that. Please help me
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 03:57 PM
    When you say you have power, what voltage do you get across which set of wires?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 04:02 PM
    You need a good Hot AND Neutral. An extension cord plugged into a known good outlet is good reference for testing. To see if Hot Neutral, or Ground is missing.
    Bluemm Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Oct 18, 2007, 06:03 PM
    When you are measuring voltage, where are you measuring it? Are you checking from hot (black) to neutral (white) or from hot to ground (bare)? It's possible to think you have power by measuring from hot to ground, but you could have a disconnected neutral which will not allow your circuit to work.
    Please give more info.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Oct 18, 2007, 07:22 PM
    I'm going to assume you lost a Neutral. [Assuming I have power means: I have a pin light tester and it's flashing (or beeping or both) when I place it near the hot leg, or in the hot slot of a receptacle? ]

Yet, if you have a meter, then I'm with TK, what's the reading?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 18, 2007, 07:29 PM
    You guys are on the right track but tell me what he is thinking by his first sentence,"lost power the other day and flipped the breakers to get them back on.." Why would someone who lost power start flipping his breakers. Maybe he tell tell us that answer when he comes back to answer Kevin's question. I'm betting he is measuring from the hot on the breaker to the panel box.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Oct 18, 2007, 08:24 PM
    True! I guess we can only guess as far as what we were told

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One power source, two switches [ 2 Answers ]

If I have one power source coming in, do I just pigtail the black wire to the two swtches and wire nut the white wires together? Also do I pigtail the ground to the switchor just wire them all together?I am running 12-2 wire. And controlling two different light sources. Also on 15amp breaker,...

Saturn won't start, power locks won't work, radio resets itself. [ 4 Answers ]

My 99 Saturn has had some starting problems in the past. It would sometimes not start but if you let it sit from anywhere from 45 minutes to 24 hours, it would eventually start. Or, after having Dad look at it, we could tap the starter and it would work. So we thought it was the starter. I...

Power button lights up no sound [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, my barebone computer I built, the power button only lights up, the cd drive will not open and there is no sound in the motherboard the power cable is connected to the M.board, could it be the processor I placed in the socket? The power supply does not come on, and the fan does not run

Lights and switches [ 1 Answers ]

About a month ago we went to replace the bulb in my sons closet and it wouldn't work.. so we never got aorund of calling a electrician yet.. thinking it might be the wires where you put in the bulbs... well the light bulb was out in my laundry room last night so I replaced it and went to cut it on...

Lights with dimmer switches buzz [ 2 Answers ]

The lights in our house that are controlled with dimmer switches all seem to have a faint buzzing sound when turned on. Does anyone know why this is?

View more questions Search