Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Sep 17, 2005, 12:28 PM
    Hampton Bay Ceiling fan wiring question
    I've wired the ceiling myself but light bulbs keep making constant noise when turned on. Not knowing much about electrical stuff, I suspected that I've mis-wired the ground or something. Can someone verify my wiring and suggest what could be wrong?

Fan-----Ceiling
    ---------------
    White---White
    Green---ground/naked wire
    Black----Black
    ---------Red (capped)

Thanks in advance.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2005, 03:36 PM
    If the noise is sort of a crackling, likely you have the wires connected to the correct wires, but a bad connection somewhere. Check them all carefully. Sometimes you have a big knot of white wires, and it is hard to get them all connected. One of the light bulbs may not be making good contact with its socket. You could even have a bad bulb. If none of that helps, post back. If I can't help, maybe somebody else can.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Sep 17, 2005, 04:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    If the noise is sort of a crackling, likely you have the wires connected to the correct wires, but a bad connection somewhere. Check them all carefully. Sometimes you have a big knot of white wires, and it is hard to get them all connected. One of the light bulbs may not be making good contact with its socket. You could even have a bad bulb. If none of that helps, post back. If I can't help, maybe somebody else can.
    Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it is a crackling noise. There is only one white wire (no big knots) from the ceiling connected to a white wire from the fan. All the bulbs are new and they seem to make good connection. I tried other bulbs just to make sure. Perhaps, bad connection is elsewhere. My next option is to contact the local electrician but I don't want to do that unless I really have to (had rather a bad experience with a local electrician some time back).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to reinstall a Hampton Bay ceiling fan (Model 44F8). There are 4 wires in the ceiling; two of which are still connected. The fan itself has 3 wires... black and red (they are connected); red is the light and black is the motor; the single white wire is marked neutral. What do I...

Hampton Bay Romano Ceiling Fan Question [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I recently purchased a home with a hampton bay Romano ceiling fan. There was no manual. I have tried to get into the light to change light bulbs and can't see to get it to open? Any ideas?

Question about Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans [ 15 Answers ]

First, thank you for such great place where people can find answers to their questions. One of my two Hampton Bay ceiling fans stopped working. How can I check if there is a problem with my remote control or with that fan? It seems that there is no problems with power, because the lights...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Reverse Question [ 2 Answers ]

I have one of those hampton bay fans that have palm leaves for the blades. It is s remote controlled fan, but the control has no reverse. If I buy a new remote that contains a reverse button, (as well as install the new 'controller' into the hub above the fan motor), will the fan reverse? Or...

Hampton Bay Ceiling fan wiring [ 3 Answers ]

I need some help with wiring a Hampton Bay Ceiling fan. The fan is multi-speed and has a light as well. This house was pre-wired for the ceiling fan and has a white, black, red & copper wire. There is a separate switch for the fan and the light that are both right next to each other. The...

View more questions Search