Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheTompkinsHouse Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Sep 8, 2007, 11:39 PM
    30 Amp Double Pole Breaker is hot and tripping
    Hi,

I just got a Maytag Neptune Dryer a week ago. I have it plugged in to our old dryer outlet (which was replaced less than a year ago) which is 3 prong. The dryer voltage is 240 volts and I am running it on a 30 amp double pole breaker. The problem is, this is new electrical wiring and a new breaker box. Yet the breaker keeps tripping and it is hot. The back of the dryer seems hot also. We have checked for a loose connection.

What could be causing this to happen? Do I need to replace the breaker? The owners manual stated something about connecting a ground wire. Could that be causing a problem, since we didn't do that?

I am just lost. My father who passed away in January was a Master Electrician and did everything in our home and I don't have anyone to ask this stuff anymore. I hope someone can help me.

Thank you,

Angela
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2007, 05:06 AM
    Can I have the model number of the dryer? I want to check the amp or wattage draw. Or if you can find that on the namplate would be great.
    Mike4942 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Sep 9, 2007, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTompkinsHouse
    Hi,

I just got a Maytag Neptune Dryer a week ago. I have it plugged in to our old dryer outlet (which was replaced less than a year ago) which is 3 prong. The dryer voltage is 240 volts and I am running it on a 30 amp double pole breaker. The problem is, this is new electrical wiring and a new breaker box. Yet the breaker keeps tripping and it is hot. The back of the dryer seems hot also. We have checked for a loose connection.

What could be causing this to happen? Do I need to replace the breaker? The owners manual stated something about connecting a ground wire. Could that be causing a problem, since we didn't do that?

I am just lost. My father who passed away in January was a Master Electrician and did everything in our home and I don't have anyone to ask this stuff anymore. I hope someone can help me.

Thank you,

Angela
    If you have already checked for a loose connection, check for a nick in the wire at the receptacle or the breaker. I have seen this cause excessive tripping with breakers in the past because it causes a hot spot. If this does not work try switching the breaker with another one in the panel (assuming you have another 30 amp, 2-pole). As far as a ground or not, as long as the receptacle and wiring match the plug on the dryer you should be okay. Some are 4-wire and some are 3-wire. The older 3-wire use the neutral to provide the grounding. If your dryer has a 4-wire plug however, you should provide one back to the panelboard.

Sep 9, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Can I have the model number of the dryer? I want to check the amp or wattage draw. Or if you can find that on the namplate would be great.

Thank you, the model number is MD55. It is the Maytag Neptune. I am looking at my user guide and it doesn't show any other numbers. It is so frustrating, cause the breaker only supports the dryer and it trips in less than a minute, with the bottom half of the breaker getting extremely hot. I am going to go to Lowe's or Home Depot today and purchase a new breaker to see if it might just be a bad breaker, although the breaker is less than a year old. We put a new service in the house, so all the wiring and breakers are brand new.

Thank you kindly for your assistance, it is truly appreciated.
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Well that did not work out, the only Neptune dryer I can find at Maytag is a gas dryer, and they need more that four characters to search for a model number, so MD 55 did not get me far. To find the full model number and load data I attached the Find the Model Number from the Maytag website.

A defective breaker is a possibility, but I wanted to check the load first before suggesting that, since I assume the outlet and circuit had been used by the previous dryer, and the problem arose with the new dryer.

A nick in the wire at the outlet could cause a hot spot at the outlet, not at the breaker. If the wire was shorted the breaker should trip. A nick would not cause a breaker to trip in a minute, unless there is a short.

As far as grounding, the new dryer is probably set up for the new 4 wire system. You must have installed a 3 wire cord on it to use the 3 wire outlet. This is fine, as long as you follow the instructions to connect the neutral to the ground screw on the frame of the dryer, usually at the terminal strip connection in the dryer.

Since the breaker gets hot so quick, it is either a load issue, or more likely a bad breaker. I would really like to know the load before you just start replacing parts.

And since you state the breaker trips after a minute, and you state the back of the dryer gets hot, this concerns me.

Sep 9, 2007, 09:27 AM
    [/QUOTE]Since the breaker gets hot so quick, it is either a load issue, or more likely a bad breaker. I would really like to know the load before you just start replacing parts.

And since you state the breaker trips after a minute, and you state the back of the dryer gets hot, this concerns me.[/QUOTE]

I looked and I found this on the dryer, Model MDE5500AYW and Serial 73902734LL... I really hope it helps and thank you so much for your quick response, I am heading to town soon and would like to pick up a new breaker if that is what it needs. I truly appreciate this.
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2007, 09:50 AM
    OK I see the manual calls for a 30 amp breaker, so sounds like the circuit size is fine. Assuming there are no loose connections at the wire termianls of the breaker, let's assume the breaker is defective.

Pay close attention to the tabs that the breaker plugs onto in the panel. One or both of these may be burnt or corroded to cause a loose connection. Any loose connection at the breaker will cause heat, that will migrate into the breaker and cause it to trip.

Try a new breaker, check all the connections, and see if this solves your problem.

Who is going to open the panel and replace the breaker? May be best to shut off the main so the interior live parts are dead to replace the breaker safely.

Sep 9, 2007, 10:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Try a new breaker, check all the connections, and see if this solves your problem.

Who is going to open the panel and replace the breaker? may be best to shut off the main so the interior live parts are dead to replace the breaker safely.

I just wanted to say thank you so much for your time and assistance on my electrical problem.

It was a bad breaker.

I bought a new one today, for less than $10.00 and my husband put it in for me. He shut off the main and took the panel off and removed the bad breaker and put the new one in, and since then, I have done 3 loads of laundry in my new dryer and not once has the breaker tripped.

Thank you again, I truly appreciate your effort in helping me solve my problem.

Angela
    amss1516 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 10:36 AM
    Confirmed that this was my issue as well. Even the same Dryer. When I went to Home depot I was able to learn that if the breaker has a burnt smell it is faulty. There is your TA-DA
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2010, 06:10 PM
    Angela. Shutting off the main before replacing the breaker was a very smart thing to do... also the proper way to do it. Glad you got it fixed.
    deniosis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2012, 07:57 AM
    By reading the solutions of your problem the expert was correct on every aspect and it was to helpful to me and resolved the problem I was having.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Hot Tub and using a 50 Amp Double Pole GFCI Circiut Breaker [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: I keep getting the GFCI breaker tripping after wiring my hot tub. I wired 2 hot Red and Black to the proper terminals and the White to the neutral and the Bare Copper to the ground Post at the tub. I am using 6-3 w/G per instructions. Could the GFCI breaker be bad? When I wire...

20 amp double pole gfci [ 9 Answers ]

I am working on an addition and am installing a whirlpool tub. The tub requires 2 - 20 amp GFCI protect circuits: 1 for the pump and 1 for the heater. I ran 12/3 wire in the walls thinking I could have the BLACK wire go from 1 GFCI breaker to the pump outlet and the RED wire go from a 2nd GFCI...

Using a Double Pole Breaker to feed two circuits [ 11 Answers ]

I have 40' run from the main panel with BX and want to use 14/3 instead of two runs of 14/2. Is there a problem using a double pole breaker (15amp) to feed (with 14/3) a split receptacle and then a lighting circuit on one half and 4 receptacles on the other? Is the only drawback is when one...

One pole of untied double-pole circuit breaker breaks [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a new dryer (220 v appliance) to replace an older model. The old dryer was connected to the panel via a double-pole breaker except that there was no clip or tie between the poles. I changed the location of the outlet when installing the new dryer, replacing the cable with the...

240 20 Amp double pole hookup [ 3 Answers ]

So this site is great, thanks Ok my next question is if I have a 12-2 wire at the baseboard then I would hook-up the dual-pole 20Amp at the box with both the white and black into each of the breakers connection and of course the ground to ground, no nuetral, right? Steve

View more questions Search