Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trek8k Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Hampton Bay Fan w/ Remote: Light Works, Fan Doesn't
    Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I just installed a Hampton Bay Andover fan w/ remote (no pull chains) but the fan won't start. The light fixture works fine (using the wall switch remote) but I can't get the fan going. I tried the reverse switch, checked all the wiring at the ceiling connection but I'm baffled. Could this be an issue of having wires hooked up incorrectly at the switch?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2007, 02:57 PM
    How is it wired?

Aug 30, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    How is it wired?
    Um, I'm not really sure how to answer w/out drawing a diagram (and even then I'm not 100% sure myself how things are connected behind the walls and in the ceiling).

I guess my question is, is it possible that having wires hooked up incorrectly at the switch (the white hooked up to the black for example) would affect the fan but not the light? I live in an older house and it's quite possible that the previous light was wired in a strange (or incorrect) way...

Aug 31, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Follow up: I spoke to someone in the electrical dept. at Home Depot and he felt like it was probably a defective fan. Not wanting to dismantle the entire thing to return it (including wall mounted remote) I gave Hampton Bay a call. They were very helpful and after running through some diagnostics and troubleshooting they felt like it was a defective remote control/switch unit. They're shipping me a new one, I'll let you know if that was the issue.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2007, 02:03 PM
    I meant, how did you have it connected to the ceiling.

Let me know how it works out. It could still be an easy issue, I just need more information.

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan-light works-fan doesn't [ 6 Answers ]

I installed a new Hampton Bay ceiling fan outdoors and the light works from a wall switch but the fan doesn't work at all. There is a white, black, red and ground wire coming from the ceiling. There is a white, black, black/white stripe (light) and green ground coming from the fan. I attached...

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

Hampton Bay Remote Ceiling Fan - light works - no fan [ 2 Answers ]

After about 4 months of use, this began to happen. I would try to turn on the fan (either Low Med or High) and the fan would barely turn. Sometimes it would work - this lasted for about 5 days. Since then, if you try to turn on the fan, you get no response. Now, the light will still turn on...

Tip: Hampton Bay Remote Fan - Fan works by remote, lights do not. [ 10 Answers ]

I figured this may help somebody here. I have a Hampton Bay remote controlled ceiling fan... the kind without pull chains... and the remote will only operate the fan portion but not the light. The light is always on. Not a big deal, as the light switch on the wall could be used to turn the light...

Hampton bay fan remote works the speed not light [ 3 Answers ]

I installed this fan OK... it was fine for 2.5 years now the remote only works the fan speed. It does not work the lights. I removed the fan and checked connections which are good.Luckily the fans lights are in the on position and POWER is through a wall switch,that controls the lights. But I wish...

View more questions Search