Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Aug 17, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Neutral wire jacket color
    Does the code address any specifics on the color of neutral wires in 120V residential wiring?

I always use white when I can, but in a pinch, say on adding a circuit tapped off an existing run, I have used other colors, such as blue for hot and yellow for return. Also, for color combos it is assumed that the darker wire is the hot and the lighter the return, though in various combos the same color could be hot or return---example; red and black, the red would be hot and the black neutral; black and white the black would hot and the white neutral, though this could be very confusing at the panel board. The wiring diagram on the package of a Plass outlet that I purchased indicated that only white, gray or green should be used for the neutral. I could see the white and gray, but the green is confusing in that I was taught it represents a ground, not a neutral. :confused:
    ZCCG Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Aug 17, 2007, 11:53 AM
    I am sure that the NEC addresses this question about color of wires...
    I just do not have the Book handy right now.
    Hopefully somebody will be able to give you the article number.
    White or Natural Grey are always Neutral in 120V AC circuits.
    As far as Using other colors for neutral, don't do it.
    Somebody could get hurt.
    They do use different colors for hot wires. That depends on the situation.
    In Residential wiring, the most common colors used for Hot are Red and Black.
    Green or Bare is for Ground.
    If you stick with these colors, you will be fine and anybody who has to work on this wiring after you will be safe.
    Thanks,
    c'ya

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neutral Wire is Hot [ 11 Answers ]

I have problem with on one of the electrical outlet in my house. The problem is this, I measured from (Neutral to Ground 120V, Hot to Ground 0V and Hot to Neutral 120V). The power on this outlet will shutdown If I plug a coffee maker, radio Ect... into this outlet. Can you please advice what...

Neutral Break or loose wire? [ 16 Answers ]

The last couple of days, the receptacle where our entertainment appliances are plugged in has been intermittently failing (power loss). Tonight, I had a chance to investigate (but unfortunately killed the power and pulled the receptacle before checking voltages, thinking it was going to be a bad...

Neutral wire is hot [ 5 Answers ]

My air conditioning quit working last night. The service man showed me that the current available to the unit was only 100 volts. He also said that the neutral wire was hot. He could not fix this because he's NOT an electrician. I'm not either but while I wait for the electrician to show up,...

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

Hot neutral wire [ 3 Answers ]

Half of the house, has no power. I checked everything I thought it was, but not having any luck. I checked boxes where the power is not working for loose neutral, nothing. I have checked for lost leg in panel, nothing. I have checked for loose neutrals in panel, nothing. I have also unplugged...

View more questions Search