Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NCJon Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Hampton Bay ceiling fan/light stuck on
    A recently remodeled home I just purchased has a Hampton Bay ceiling fan and light that is controlled only by remote -- no pullchains and no wall switch.

It's been acting strange, with the lights coming on and off without anyone touching the remote, for the last couple of days. Then tonight it turned on -- both the fan and light -- and won't turn back off.

I replaced the battery in the remote first, then took apart the base and reset the dip switches on the receiver and the remote. It still won't turn off.

I'm assuming that I most likely need a new receiver, but I was hoping to confirm my suspicions.

So I have two questions:

1) Am I right and a new receiver is needed?
    2) If that is the case, how difficult of a repair is that?

Aug 10, 2007, 07:04 AM
    So I called King of Fans this morning. They want to charge me $42 +shipping for a new receiver for their faulty fan. Says only the motor is covered by the 'lifetime warranty.' When I started arguing, the customer service rep hung up on me. She never even mentioned the dip switches as a possibility, which I hadn't brought up either.

Any thoughts?

Aug 10, 2007, 01:12 PM
    In closing -- I enjoyed the conversation with myself -- I bought a new receiver unit from Home Depot for much less than what King of Fans was offering. I'm annoyed that neither Home Depot nor King of Fans would replace the thing for free, but whatever.

I installed the new receiver and everything is running fine again.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2007, 01:55 PM
    I didn't know that the receivers sold at Home Depot were drop in replacements for those fans without pullchains. I'm glad it works.

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

Aug 12, 2007, 12:33 PM
    I was surprised too, because everything I'd found here and at other sites about folks having problems with the remote systems involved getting a new one from the company.

They had a remote/receiver package right on the shelf at Home Depot. It's a slightly different model than what was originally in the fan, but it's working fine.
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 07:26 PM
    The receivers at Home Depot, etc, will work as drop in replacements for any other 5 wire receivers. NOT for receivers that have 6 or more wires.
    drn1023 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 06:20 PM
    I'm having that problem right now. No switch or pull cords. My fan is only about 4 years old and the light stays on all the time. I have it wired through the wall switch, so I can still turn it off, and the fan works perfectly, but the remote for the light won't do a thing. Mine has the round yellow box with the square plug in it. I believe I was told it was a "C7" receiver, and has been replaced with a newer one. A place in FL quoted me 59.00 + s&h for it. For that price, I'll drill a hole and put in a pull chain. Dennis
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2007, 01:37 PM
    You can do that. I would also contact the manufacturer of the fan, some of these online parts suppliers are a bit pricey.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan - Light Comes On By Itself [ 15 Answers ]

Just installed a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with the remote control for the fan and the light. Old house and I it's my first time installing a fan. Pretty proud and works pretty well. O.K. just a little wobble. After a while of operation, the light comes on without anyone touching the remote. ...

Hampton bay ceiling fan with light [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get the globe off the ceiling fan to change the lightbulb? It does not seem to unscrew from the bottom.

Hampton Bay ceiling fan and light [ 8 Answers ]

Our wall-mounted light switch no longer turns the light on. We have to flip the switch on, then walk over to the remote (in the dark) push the button off, then on again for it to work.

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan/Light [ 1 Answers ]

We have a wireless Hampton Bay ceiling fan and light with a built in remote receiver. We can still operate the fan with the remote but the lights don't work. The universal remote has one wire for the fan and one wire for the lights but the original system has numerous wires going to the motor. Is...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan light [ 6 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me where I can find a replacement bulb for a ceiling fan I purchased at Home Depot a (hampton bay). The bulb is a mini spiral fluorescent with the writing on the side being--PLS13 Warm White, it has 4 pins. And is the push in type. Thanks

View more questions Search