Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Aug 4, 2005, 10:04 AM
    Which panel should I go with?
    Greetings all,

I am need of replacing an old Pushmatic Service Panel. The only breakers I can find for it are on e-bay. Plus I need to add a sub-panel in the garage for the new addition my wife wants. (She gets a walk-in closet and a bigger master bathroom with a tub and a separate shower, I get the new garage stall that is under the closet/bath addition)

I have always heard that Square-D is the way to go, but only if you use the QO line.

The electrician wants to use G-E stuff. (The builder passed along that when he asked the electrician if the new stuff was going to be QO as it had an all copper buss, the electrician responded: "Who is this guy? An Electricial Engineer? <grin>)

From what I can see on GE's website, the panels are all copper busses so that seems good.

Should I pay ~$400 more for QO or is GE good?

Thanks! Dan

P.S. Anyone want to buy some old Pushmatic Breakers?
    switchace Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2005, 10:40 AM
    I'm an electrican in the navy so cost doesn't matter to us but we always use square-D stuff for everything for individual breackers to the full out box. They are easy to use and are very good quality. So if you are willing to spend the extra money I would go with the square-D
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2005, 12:21 PM
    Take it easy and let the electrician use GE. They have been around a long time, and likely will be still be in the business in 20 years. You can also find their products in retails stores where you may be more comfortable picking up odds and ends you may need in 10 years.

Pushmatic used to be a major brand, but I am not sure I have seen much of them recently.
    eg007 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2005, 07:11 PM
    I and pretty much everyone I ever worked with prefer Square D QO. I've used GE panels though and they aren't awful.. but I think some of them had copper covered aluminum not solid copper busses. The local State Electric lost a lot of customers when they switched to GE... but hey everyone has their preferences and I've yet to hear of a GE panel catching on fire hehe.
    contractor Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Square D panels are good, As an electrician you never find some other manufactures breaker in a Square D panel. GE, Murray interchange and this is not allowed by NEC National Electrical Code. Sub panels need the whites and bare wires on their on bars. And the new code requires AFCI and GFCI circuits as well as Tamper resistance outlets just about everywhere in a house.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 23, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by contractor
    and the new code requires AFCI and GFCI circuits as well as Tamper resistance outlets just about everywhere in a house.
    First off, the AFCI requirements is ONLY if your area has adopted it. NOT all areas have adopted 2008 (or even 2005) in it's enitrety. MANY areas have amendments to the AFCI requirement.

Also, what code requires GFCIs all over?? This is news to me.

Considering this thread is three years old things have changed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a sub panel [ 6 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement which will have a 60x20 room and a 10x9 bathroom. I'm running 20 amp breakers,12-2 wire, 20 amp outlets. 2 breakers for 20 outlets ( 10 outlets a breaker). 1 breaker for 8 2x4 flourecents. 1 breaker for GFI ( for my freazer).

Square d sub panel [ 29 Answers ]

I am not to familiar with residential wiring and I have a question about sub panel problem. I have a 200 amp main panel with a 125 amp sub panel. There is a 60 amp feeder from the main for the sub. My problem is I am getting an unbalanced loading problem. I tried balancing the load between the 2...

Sub panel 40 amp wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 70 amp sub panel. I'm trying to figure out how to wire in a 40amp breaker in the sub from the panel in my house. I have two hot wires coming in to separate lugs, one neutral, but the breaker itself has one trip/reset lever yet has two screws on the bottom of the breaker;one on each side....

Adding sub panel [ 8 Answers ]

Hi All, My current breaker panel is a Murray Arrow / Hart. It has two rows of 8 sockets each plus three that are taken up by the main 100 amp breaker. All of the positions are filled on the panel, I have even removed the old 240v line to use those two spaces for additional breakers. I have...

125 amp sub panel [ 5 Answers ]

What size wire do I need to pull for a 125 amp sub panel. Thank you

View more questions Search