Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ptnoble Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Double pole or single pole thermostat for baseboard heater
    A more specific question here:

My 240v baseboard heater says it can be wired with a single or double pole thermostat. Since 240v is already "dual pole" with two hots, do I want to stick with a double pole thermostat? Are there advantages/disadvantages to each?

Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2007, 07:12 PM
    With 2 pole, it disconnects BOTH Hots. Personally, I feel it is safer, more correct.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2007, 08:45 PM
    I have to agree. A single pole thermostat on at 230 circuit isn't the best place to save a nickel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring single pole thermostat in double pole fixture [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to install a line voltage programmable thermostat into a manual thermostat fixture. The programmable thermostat is Honeywell RLV430. Instruction manual here: http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/b7867367-6c05-4c82-a97c-648044b91564.pdf The...

20amp QUAD double pole versus 2 20AMP tandem single pole [ 2 Answers ]

I have 5 zones of baseboard heat, 3 of which were disabled due to the addition of a heat pump. The circuit panel is full and would like to restore the operation of the 3 zones of base boardheat. I was planning on removing 3 double pole 20amp 240 volt circuits and installing 3 QUAD 20 amp double...

One pole of untied double-pole circuit breaker breaks [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a new dryer (220 v appliance) to replace an older model. The old dryer was connected to the panel via a double-pole breaker except that there was no clip or tie between the poles. I changed the location of the outlet when installing the new dryer, replacing the cable with the...

Trying to change a single pole light switch to a single pole swith with a light below [ 5 Answers ]

I have a kitchen light and a basement light that are together in one electrical box, but are on single switches. I purchased a "single pole switch and pilot light" combination so I could see easily if the basement light is on. In the box there is a black, red and white wire. For the single pole...

Installing double pole wall t-stat baseboard heater [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 220 baseboard heater, and it is on dedicated circuit. Heater works okay as I have run wires straight through and turned on circuit breaker and heater works. This is a Marley baseboard heater and wall double pole thermostat. Instructions with thermostat leave a lot to be desired. Actual...

View more questions Search