Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Princess Daisy Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jul 12, 2007, 12:53 PM
    How to change a hanging light to a swag light
    Can someone please tell me how to take an old hard wired light fixture and change it to a swag light? My [U]home office doesn't have any receptacle for a hard wired light, so I have to resort to swag/plug in lighting and want to use an old tiffany style light fixture but need to change it to a swag type hook up. The old fixture has about 2 feet of chain already attached. Please use VERY easy instructions as I don't speak "electrical"... Thanks!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 03:20 PM
    The swag kit is usually? Is used to get power from receptacle or light location, to new location.
    Can you, or do you want to install Tiffany light from where old light fixture was?
    If so you will need canopy kit. Open link on chain, and close on canopy loop, thread
    Wires through. If old light was in wrong location, same thing, except, install ceiling hooks.
    Cut chain to length.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 07:24 PM
    If you didn't understand answer, you need to call electrician.
    You didn't provide enough information for anyone to answer.
    I see you have 1 Post. Welcome
    tbc1201 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jul 13, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Find Swag Lamp Kits and other Lamp Parts at Aubuchon Hardware

The link above will take you to where you can buy all the parts. There is a kit with everything you need with instructions. You will need 12' of chain, 15' of cord w/plug, line switch, and hooks.

Spread apart the link attached to the light and remove the chain. Take the cover off the socket (if there is one) and remove the wires.

The instructions included should take you from there.

(You are going to thread the cord through the chain by going through every 4th or 5th link. Push the cord through the opening where the old wires passed through and screw to the socket terminals. Open the chain link and attach it where the old chain was. Attach the line switch according to the instructions. A hook will need to go in the ceiling where you want the light. It is best to screw into a stud, but the toggle bolt works well, too. Both types are included with the kit. Place the second hook in the ceiling near a wall above a socket. Swags work best in corners, etc and not in the middle of the room because having a cord that long isn't safe and generally not available.)

Be sure that when you hang the light that all of the weight of the light is held by the chain and that there is no weight on the electrical cord!

Hope this helps.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2007, 06:56 PM
    The 2' of chain and wire is on the existing light, is it long enough to swag or do you need to extend it? In spite of the other posts in this thread, it's actually pretty easy to do.
    Princess Daisy Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jul 15, 2007, 09:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tbc1201
    Find Swag Lamp Kits and other Lamp Parts at Aubuchon Hardware

The link above will take you to where you can buy all the parts. There is a kit with everything you need with instructions. You will need 12' of chain, 15' of cord w/plug, line switch, and hooks.

Spread apart the link attached to the light and remove the chain. Take the cover off of the socket (if there is one) and remove the wires.

The instructions included should take you from there.

(You are going to thread the cord through the chain by going through every 4th or 5th link. Push the cord through the opening where the old wires passed through and screw to the socket terminals. Open the chain link and attach it where the old chain was. Attach the line switch according to the instructions. A hook will need to go in the ceiling where you want the light. It is best to screw into a stud, but the toggle bolt works well, too. Both types are included with the kit. Place the second hook in the ceiling near a wall above a socket. Swags work best in corners, etc and not in the middle of the room because having a cord that long isn't safe and generally not available.)

Be sure that when you hang the light that all of the weight of the light is held by the chain and that there is no weight on the electrical cord!

Hope this helps.
    Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it! This will help immensly!:)
    oldfolks Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jul 2, 2011, 01:46 PM
    Most Home Depots have this kit also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to change a single pole light switch to a single pole swith with a light below [ 5 Answers ]

I have a kitchen light and a basement light that are together in one electrical box, but are on single switches. I purchased a "single pole switch and pilot light" combination so I could see easily if the basement light is on. In the box there is a black, red and white wire. For the single pole...

Light-bulb change in HB fixture? [ 2 Answers ]

The condo unit I bought has a Hampton Bay light fixture in the kitchen (flushmount, 2-lights, 60w, frosted glass)... this sounds funny to type these words, but how do I change the bulbs? Does the glass portion unscrew? Does the fixture pull-down from the ceiling? I am very hesitant to monkey...

Hampton Windward II Light Change [ 2 Answers ]

We recently purchased a home which has a Windward II w/remote installed in a study. The light needs replacing, but I (and numerous other handymen) have been unable to unscrew the globe to get to change the bulb. Has anyone else had any similar problem and, if so, your advice will be greatly...

Hanging a ceiling fan/light [ 5 Answers ]

I have a room approx 25 x 30 floor space with a 24' high ceiling over half of it. My painter said there is a ton of heat being trapped up there so I bought 2 ceiling fans and want to know at what height they should be installed. And should one be higher than the other. They are 52" each.

How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb? [ 5 Answers ]

Golden Retriever The sun is shining, the day is young, we've got our whole lives ahead of us, and you're inside worrying about a stupid burned out bulb? Border Collie Just one. And then I'll replace any wiring that's not up to code. Dachshund You know I can't reach that stupid lamp! ...

View more questions Search