Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ozamandiz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2005, 11:50 AM
    Hot Tub Disconnect
    From reading past questions and responses, I got a fairly clear idea about how to wire the GFI panel between the distribution panel and hot tub. Thanks for the references that people posted!

There is still one requirement, however, that still puzzles me. The NEC calls for a disconnect to be installed between five and ten feet from the hot tub. Is the panel with the GFI breaker (as noted above) considered the disconnect or is another disconnect, like those used on centeral air conditioning units, also needed?

Thanks for any help.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 9, 2005, 11:54 AM
    This would be...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozamandiz
    From reading past questions and responses, I got a fairly clear idea about how to wire the GFI panel between the distribution panel and hot tub. Thanks for the references that people posted!

There is still one requirement, however, that still puzzles me. The NEC calls for a disconnect to be installed between five and ten feet from the hot tub. Is the panel with the GFI breaker (as noted above) considered the disconnect or is another disconnect, like those used on centeral air conditioning units, also needed?

Thanks for any help.
    ... a true disconnect. The GFI would be a breaker in the panel.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2005, 02:23 AM
    To be this is clear, the hot tub will need two disconnects. One at the main panel, and one near the tub between 5-10 feet away.

Only one of these disconnects need to be GFI. If you have the GFI at the main panel, the disconect at the tub can be a switch only, with no GFI or overcurrent devices.

The reason being is to insure that when someone works on the hot tub, the one nearby can be seen and under control of the repair person, and not need to assume the one at the panel will not be turned on accidentially.

This is not because of the hot tub,this is a standard practice required by code for all electric equipment and appliances, to have a disconnect nearby for servicing.
    Pool guy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2005, 09:48 AM
    That's the way I have mine wired as well... I installed a 60amp breaker off my main box and ran the 220 to a new box that I installed by the hot tub. The new box has (2) 30 amp breakers in it. One for my hot tub and the other one for my dryer. I know that its convienent if you ever have to work on the hot tub, that you know for sure that the power will be disconnected cause of the box being right there. Not sure about codes, but I would think it would be OK?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2005, 10:51 AM
    I think code calls for the disconnect to not only to be close, but in sight. That way, if you see anybody near the disconnect, you can threaten them with great bodily harm if they touch it. In industry, the rules require a lock and tag on the disconnect.

The code may not require a disconnect for appliances with a plug.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mapped drive disconnect after period of inactivity [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I have this annoying problem. Mapped drive disconnect after period of inactivity; such as an hour or over night. Windows XP: 4 Server: 1 Share folders are on the server and a single windows XP. This is what I have done so far. In command prompt: net config server /autodisconnect:-1

200 Amp Outside Service Disconnect [ 5 Answers ]

I NEED TO KNOW IF A "200 AMP OUTSIDE SERVICE DISCONNECT" IS THE SAME THING AS A "200 AMP OUTSIDE MAIN BREAKER OR LOAD CENTER"? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!! HOME DEPOT WAS USELESS.:confused:

Want to auto disconnect AOL [ 2 Answers ]

Hi: I'm running XP and AOL9 w/ dial-up. Is there some way I can configure AOL to automatically disconnect? I've accidentally left my computer connected for hours and upon my return AOL is still running. I thought to use parental controls but this only works for 1 screen name at a time. I...

How to disconnect copper elbo from wall feed PVC [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new water softener. If I could rotate the existing copper elbow feed, for old softener, it would make the new installation much neater. How can I rotate an elbow connected into PVC that has a clamp?

View more questions Search