Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattintom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 02:21 PM
    110 to 220
    We need an outlet that needs to support 220v 27.4 amps. Ihave 2 120 lines at that location both with 20 amp breakers. Could I just use those lines connet them to the new outlet 2 hots and 1 ground. Then get a double poled breaker in place of the other 2 breakers. If so on the new dbl breaker should the breaker read 20 & 20 or 30 & 30. I gues I am not sure do you add 20 and 20 and get 40 or even know there are 2 20 amp breakers that combined breaker is still only 20 amps.

Thanks in advance

pattintom
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jun 11, 2007, 06:31 PM
    From what I read, the answer is "no go!"

Sounds to me you need 30amps? If you do, then from what you said:
    I have 2 120 lines at that location both with 20 amp breakers.
    this could mean that your present wires-- possibly 12AWG-- will not meet code requirements for a 30A circuit.

Also, are the two wires a straight run, or do they serve other loads (devices; equipment; etc.).

What are you installing that needs 220 volts @30A?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2007, 08:36 PM
    What is it for?
    May need 2 #8's for hots, #10 for ground, and 40 amp breaker/2 Pole?
    Should have specs or Nameplate?
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jun 12, 2007, 08:28 AM
    What is it for?
    Exactly!
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 17, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Sorry, but the response of "Exactly" tells me nothing.

First, I am not an electrician and I immediately defer to those that are particularly with respect to code issues.

One step at a time, how do you know that the line is a 20 amp line? Are you using 20 amp outlets? Did you meter the amperage on the line coming out of the panel box?

My suggestions would be to use a single bar/double 60 Amp (27.4*1.5= 41.1 Amps) I've never seen a 45 or 50 amp breaker so you should go to a 60 Amp breaker and #6/3 cable, (Get a heavy cable cutter for this stuff). Black would go to one side of the double breaker. Red would go to the other side of the breaker. Neutral would go to the Neutral buss bar and the bare ground would go to the grounding bus bar.

Run the new cable and connect the properly rated outlet Red and Black to the power legs, neutral to neutral, ground to ground.

Are you planning to use this outlet outside the house? If so, you need to make sure you meet NEC Codes for out door outlets and if the outlet is going to service anything near water (pool) then you must use a GFCI outlet.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2007, 11:34 AM
    This question is a over a month old and I am closing the post to any additional posts.

Please do not answer questions or add to posts that are older than a month.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater 110 or 220 [ 10 Answers ]

Looking to buy a kenmore 20 gallon water heater.110 has 2000 watt element 220 has 4000 element.I was told either way they will use the same amount of electric just the 220 will heat up more quick .Is this the case.I ask because sister said she had a 110 dryer once and electric went through the...

220 to 110 [ 7 Answers ]

I'm wanting to run a 110 outlet off my 220 serface unit how do I go about doing this?:confused:

110 vs. 220 wiring... [ 7 Answers ]

I bought a table saw at an estate sale. I got a good deal on it! I noticed after I got the saw home (I looked at it before I bought it, but didn't look close enough) and realized the plug appears to be a 220 plug. This won't work for me as I'm limited to 110; I'm a renter. The plug has 3...

Changing motor from 220 to 110 [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old Sears radial arm saw that I changed to run on 220V from 110V some time ago. I am now in a situation where I don't have easy access to 220V and need to change it back to 110V, but I can't find my manual. I see where the wires connect to the switch, but I don't see where I can move...

Getting 110 from 220 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3-wire 220V going to my well house. I am wanting to come off the 220 to a 110 outlet. I realize this is not the safest thing to do but it is only temporary. My question is, I know I use one wire so I cut let's say the white wire and connect it to one side of this GFI outlet, Do I connect...

View more questions Search