Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chuck pridemore Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Using Al. Wire for service entrance wire.
    Was looking for help, failed elt. Service inspection due to the use of al. wire coming from the outside disconnect to the main panel inside the house. Wire is proper size but was informed that 2005 nec required use of copper?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 4, 2007, 09:27 AM
    I am not aware of any requirement in the National Electric Code 2005 that states this.

Request the inspector cite the actual Article and Section of the Code to justify his decision.

There may be a local or state code, certainly is no national code.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 18, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Where I live, Aluminum is not allowed, "Supplement to the NEC", for over 25 years.
    Salt Air,Corrosion.
    (AHJ) Authority Having Jurisdiction, is power.
    You don't want Aluminum. It may not $ave you like you think.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 18, 2007, 09:58 PM
    Check your equiptment you used for the wiring, If it does not say CU/AL on it you might have a problem because it is not rated for Aluminum wire. Service in aluminum is OK in this area and no problems from it. You need to use deox on the wire and use a torque wrench (which no one does) on the lugs.
    cayoung144 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2013, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Check your equiptment you used for the wiring, If it does not say CU/AL on it you might have a problem because it is not rated for Aluminum wire. Service in aluminum is OK in this area and no problems from it. You need to use deox on the wire and use a torque wrench (which no one does) on the lugs.
    What should the torgue on the lugs be set to?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 10, 2013, 04:29 PM
    what should the torgue on the lugs be set to?
    You should have really started a new thread with your new questions.
    Anyway, the torque specs will be on a sticker inside the panel or enclosure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting 3 wire to a 4 wire service panel [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to connect from a 3 wire system at the utility pole to a 4 wire service panel inside a new mobile home. I called an electrician for some advice and was told that I needed to drive an 8ft ground stake and attach a solid copper wire from the stake to the ground bar in the panel. Then I...

Service entrance wire size. [ 8 Answers ]

I am in Honduras, where, the NEC does not apply, and what a mess we have without it.. I can put any size wire anywhere, and no one cares, except me. I am putting in a 150 Amp Service and the breaker panel will be about 50 Ft from the Meter.. I have not yet figured the size wire I need to the...

What is the cable/wire gauge (product name) for installing 200 Amp Service Entrance [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new service entrance to upgrade my home electrical service to 200 amps. 1 Please tell me what gage wire is required from the meter to the weather-head? The service panel with main breaker is inside the laundry room 25 feet from the outdoor meter loop. I will run the...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

View more questions Search