Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ambrassb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2006, 10:55 AM
    Dual Dimmer Switch for light and fan
    I am having trouble also installing a dual dimmer switch for my light and fan. I can only get it to work both at the same time. I have a three wire (plus ground) black, white and red going from the switch box to the fan/light. And I have three wires coming from the fan/light unit and three wires from the dual dimmer switch. What colors do I hook together?? Help!
    Thanks,
    Bill
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Aug 19, 2006, 08:00 PM
    With house wiring, white should always be the neutral wire. At the fan/light, connect the white to white, black to black, and red to red (assuming those are the colours). Also, be sure to connect the bare ground to the junction box the fan/light is connected to.

In the box where the dual dimmer is installed, connect the white from the incoming power to the white that feeds the fan/light. Connect the black from the incoming power to the "power in" terminal of the dual dimmer switch. Then, the other two lines from the switch connect to the red and black that feed the fan/light. You'll probably also have to connect the bare ground to the dimmer switch, as well as to the box and to the ground that goes to the fan/light.

The page below is a pdf for wiring a dual dimmer from lutron, assuming that it feeds two separate lighting loads:
    http://www.lutron.com/techInfo/Insta...ch%20wiring%22
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2006, 04:44 PM
    Where does your power supply (black/white/ground) connect, at the fan or at the switch box?

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...fan-wiring.php

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trouble with ceiling fan on a dual fan/light dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and dual fan/light dimmer, also from Harbor Breeze. Unfortunately, now I'm scratching my head... Do I have a bad dimmer switch? Here's the problem: 1. The light will turn on only when the fan speed on the wall switch is set to high. 2. When...

Dimmer Switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a set of four standard toggle switches next to each other all controlling different lights within the house. I want to replace one of those toggle switchs with a dimmer for one of the lights. I just wanted to maker sure that putting a dimmer switch in between the other toggle switches...

Fan and dimmer switch problem [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a bathroom extractor fan which works from a dimmer switch also wired to a light? When the light is on dim, the fan does not come on, but when it is up full, the fan switches in. This is great at night when you visit the loo and don't want to wake your partner with a bright light...

Light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a foyer light which is on a three way switch, one is a 1000 watt dimer. The other day the light would not work while switching the dimmer. I went to the other switch and flipped it and it worked. It has worked properly prior to this episode and now works properly again from both positions. I...

Two-way light switch [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not sure how to fit an external light, taking it from a one-way switch & converting it into a Two-way, my kitchen light switch's are at either end of the room. So I went & brought a Two-way switch to fit in next to the back door of my kitchen. How do I transfer power to the extra switch that I...

View more questions Search