Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ptdane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Convert Main Panel to Subpanel?
    After rough-wiring my old house to a new 200 amp Main Panel (wired-in but not yet connected to the service line and still using the original 100 amp fuse-type panel) I've decided to build a major addition that makes the originally planned service entrance a poor location.

Question:
    Can I install another new 200 amp main panel and service entrance (in the addition in a better location) and use the "first" 200 amp panel as a sub panel?
    Or can/should I run approx. 40 feet of entrance cable from the "revised" meter to the original 200 amp main panel location?
    Or should I un-wired the first main panel and extended all my home runs to a "relocated" new main panel in the addition?

I know I should have planned better... but I just got married... thanks for the help!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Personally I would have all in 1 Panel, considering cost and time.
    No problem with 2 panels, could save a lot of work.
    If you are able to leave the first where it is, why not just run new stuff from there,
    Maybe 60 or 100? Amp breaker to feed to addition SubPanel.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 11:42 AM
    The problem with installing a new 200 amp panel, is that it will not accept another 200 amp breaker to feed the existing panel. The existing panel may be only fed by possibly a 100 or a125 amp breaker. If this works for your ,then fine, no problem. Just remember to use 4 wire service entrance cable to feed the existing panel once the first main breaker is at the relocated service entrance.
    Local25Rooster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 04:15 PM
    If you do turn you first panel installed into a sub-panel make sure to separate the neutrals and grounds

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between Main Lug and Main Breaker Panel [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between a Main Breaker Panel and a Main Lug Panel and can either be used in new residential construction.

100 Amp Subpanel from 200 Amp main panel [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a subpanel to be used to supply branch circuits to a new kitchen, laundry, garage, and some additional lighting and receptacles. The 200 amp main panel is about 50 ft away but because of the obstructions, we'll need about 85 feet of cable to connect the 100 amp subpanel. Since...

Main panel as subpanel [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I stumbled across your forum and found a question that was close to mine, but have a more detailed query. I am wiring a shop/apartment. The building has a 200 amp service panel. The main loads (a/c, range) and dedicated loads (fridge, smoke detectors, etc) are branch circuits on the main...

Subpanel or main service panel? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I want to put a subpanel in my shop, and was wondering if a main service panel that they sell at say Home Depot is the same thing as a subpanel? I have a 200 amp service to my house, and want to put a 100 amp subpanel in my shop. Does the term "subpanel" just mean that it is wired off the...

Putting a subpanel side by side with a main panel [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am looking to put a subpanel side by side with a main panel. The sub panel will be connected to the main by a 1 & 1/2 inch metal conduit since the two panels will be electrically connected by the conduit - do I still need to separete the neutral and ground bus? Thanks, Martin

View more questions Search