Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RLEngel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2006, 05:36 PM
    Hampton Bay ceiling fans
    I have a HB ceiling fan that is mounted very close to the ceiling (there is no space between the fan housing and the ceiling cover. The ceiling cover has no removal screws and is one piece and appears attached to the top of the fan housing. I was able to unscrew the fan motor shaft from the top of the fan motor housing (top half) but am still unable to dismount the fan housing and ceiling cover from the ceiling. I am able to turn the top half of the housing (attached to the ceiling cover) about maybe 1/8 of a turn but no further. How does this mount come down from the ceiling??

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2006, 11:13 PM
    Some of these fans have a decorative ring that hides the screws, you turn it counter-clockwise and it will snap off. It is right against the ceiling.

Sep 30, 2006, 09:19 AM
    There appears to be no such "ring". It must twist off somehow. (? ) There is no room for a "ring" and the ceiling "bell" fixture appears to be firmly attached to the upper fan housing. The only thing I can fugure out is that I'm must turn counter clockwise to somehow come down from the fixture up in the electrical outlet---perhaps pushing up while twisting might do it. I do not know how a ceiling hugger fan gets put up. I will keep you advised. No intention to sell existing fan as it will be put up in another bedroom---if I ever get it down (?! ). Thanks for the suggestion. ****
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2006, 11:46 AM
    Can you take a picture of the fan and send to me?

In the case of all ceiling hugger fans, the canopy/housing screws to the mounting bracket with 4 screws right flush at the ceiling. Sometimes these screws are covered. I have never seem nor heard of a fan where the housing itself twists off.

Sep 30, 2006, 04:50 PM
    OOOOoooopps, well what do you know---it did have a conceilment rubber or plastic ring around the
    Top of the ceiling bell cover. It was very tight fitting and looked very much like it was part of the bell assembly. After I pried it down low and behold there were 4 screws holding the fan up in place. Removal of the four screws and the fan was down (after separating the three wires). There had to be a way and sure enough there was a way. Lifting and twisting was never going to get the fan down!! Thanks again for your help. Problem Solved!!! Now I will reinstall the fan in our other bedroom.
    **** :o
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2006, 10:45 PM
    Glad you got it working.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans [ 8 Answers ]

The Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan information has been moved here.

Hampton Bay ceiling fans [ 1 Answers ]

We are installing two Hampton Bay ceiling fans on a cathedral ceiling in a two story great room. For efficiency purposes, do the fans need to be mounted on poles, or can they be installed tight to the ceiling?

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans [ 1 Answers ]

We just recently moved into a house where the previous owner installed Hampton Bay ceiling fans. My problem is the fans do not turn on. They are remote control so my first response was to change the battery in the remotes. My next thought was to change the wiring in the ceiling and make it turn on...

Hampton bay ceiling fans [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how critical it is to ground a ceiling fan? Is it OK to two wire it from a swag chain? Or will this electrocute someone?

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed two Hampton Bay 60" Industrial Ceiling Fans (Model # 158 987) on the same electrical circuit. Unfortunately, I had installed the circuit before I purchased the fans. I now find that the 4 speed fan switch is not strong enough to properly operate both fans. They spin on the two...

View more questions Search