Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikerenn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2006, 11:15 AM
    Ceiling fans
    I have an older fan that only has 3 wires a black, white, and blue. And coming out of my ceiling there's only a black, and white. Sooo wheres my ground wire from the ceiling? (the electrical box?) and is the blue wire from the fan my ground? Cause I could ground it to the electrical box.
    Please help its hot here

Thanks
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2006, 11:50 AM
    Blue is hot for the light. If you have a metal ceiling box (it's a fan, so you definitely should) then it is the ground. You connect black and blue to black, white to white, and ground to the electrical box (and/or the fan's mounting bracket).

For more information:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...fan-wiring.php
    mikerenn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2006, 08:27 PM
    Thanks a lot you rock, now I want to hook up a light to the fan. So the light has a black, white, and green(ground) wire and at the bottem of the fan I only have a blue and white. So just to make sure, black to blue and white to white and green(ground) to where?
    Please and thank you its only getting hotter here
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2006, 11:26 PM
    Blue - black, white - white, and since both the light and fan are metal you shouldn't need to worry about the ground wire. I've never actually heard of a fan light kit with a ground wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans [ 8 Answers ]

The Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan information has been moved here.

Hampton Bay ceiling fans [ 1 Answers ]

We are installing two Hampton Bay ceiling fans on a cathedral ceiling in a two story great room. For efficiency purposes, do the fans need to be mounted on poles, or can they be installed tight to the ceiling?

3 ceiling fans, 1 new & now 2 old won't work [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 Emerson ceiling fans with after market, Hunter brand remotes that worked great until recently. I just installed a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan that came with a remote. Now the 2 old fans will not work at all, but the new one works fine. The 2 old ones have pull chains and 4 switches in the...

Red wires and ceiling fans [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to replace an existing celing fan. The outlet box has 3 wires, red black and white. It's not clear which is the ground wire. Also, the fan directions say that there is a ground wire coming from the motor, but there is not. There is, however, a grounding wire on the mounting...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed two Hampton Bay 60" Industrial Ceiling Fans (Model # 158 987) on the same electrical circuit. Unfortunately, I had installed the circuit before I purchased the fans. I now find that the 4 speed fan switch is not strong enough to properly operate both fans. They spin on the two...

View more questions Search