Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hooligan 32 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Did I wire my fan correctly?
    Hi,

I just replaced an old fan with a brand new Hunter unit which has a different wiring configuration. In the ceiling box I have a Ground, Red, Black, and White wire. The Hunter fan has a Black, Black/Black White, Green, and White. So per Hunter's instructions I connected the whites together, connected the grounds together, connected the two blacks and one black/white together, leaving me with one unused red wire so I decided to cap it by itself. After installing the fan and switching on the power the fan worked but the wall switch didn't. So I turned off the power and removed the single pole wall switch (this fan is in a bedroom hence only one switch source) The way the previous owner had wired the switch was with one black wire and one red wire. I think this was because the old fan had a blue wire for the light kit to which they connected the red wire thus the wall switch only controlled the lighting function of the fan. So what I did was removed the red wire and hooked up the other black wire ( I have two incoming wire bundles with red, black , white, and ground in each. So each black wire was connected to a terminal then each of the other wires capped with its matching counterpart red red , white white, ground ground. As an result the switch controls the fans power either on or off, and I use the pull chain to dictate what I want to use. I know this is all clear as mud, but this was my firing attempt at wiring anything did I do it correctly?

Thanks in advance
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 07:22 PM
    If What you said was, all Whites together, all Greens together, Blacks in ceiling are
    Always hot, and Reds in ceiling are Switched. And they connect to
    Black on fan is Black.
    Black/White on fan is light.
    Since you say green wire, I am thinking conduit, may be able to push or pull in separate
    Wire, with light/fan combo in 1 device.
    If single gang mudring, could carefully remove and install 2 gang for individual control of light and fan.
    hooligan 32 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 04:50 AM
    There is no green wires except from the ceiling fan itself my ground wires are solid copper in the 14 3g bundle, so no there is no conduit to speak of. Thanks for your reply
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 08:22 PM
    I would wire it: black-black, striped-red, white-white, and ground to ground. This way the light is controlled from the switch and the fan from the pullchain.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan not wired correctly [ 4 Answers ]

I and neighbor put in a ceiling fan in the bathroom. It seems that the fan is not blowing the steam out. The fan is designed for a larger bathroom. I'm not a electrician but my thinking is to reverse the wiring to the poles so that the fan will work in the correct direction so that it will blow...

Fan Switch (5-8 wire) [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing a 5-8 wire fan switch. I do not recall the order of the wires when I pulled them out. There are slots on the switch labeled L, 1, 2, & 3. Where do the wires go?

3-way 4 wire ceiling fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing the ceiling fan switch, which is a 3-way 4 wire switch. My cousin accidentally pulled two of the wires out of the old switch and I cannot remember which slot each go to. The wires I am referring to is the gray and the purple. They came out of the #1 and #3 slot.

5-wire fan motor? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Holmes Products Window Fan Model HAWF 2085T This model has two fans, two motors. These fans run 2 speeds, and are reversible for exauhst and intake. My question is how can wire one motor separate from the other, to just run at a single speed. I can control on/off with plug... ...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

View more questions Search