Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mulligan123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2013, 11:22 AM
    Hot neutral reverse causes
    Hello all. In my two upstairs bedrooms all of the outlets are showing hot/neutral reverse except one. The correct outlet is the first break in the line that is coming from the panel box. From the outlet, power goes to a pull chain light and all white wires are attached to each other as are all the blacks. Following the remaining chains all outlets, lights and switches seem to be wired correctly with blacks on the gold and whites on the silver. I still can't find the source of the reverse. The house was built in the 50's. There was a time when an electrician updated some of the breakers including this one. At that time he put some new wire into the box and connected to the old in a box near the box. Just white to white and black to black. Any idea of where I could be missing the reversed wires?

Dave
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Sep 18, 2013, 08:27 PM
    Did you check how each recept in wired? If you look at the front of your recept you will notice that one slot is longer then the other. When you look at the wires on your recept the white wire should be on the same side as the long slot and the black wire should be on the same side as the short slot. This would give you the right polarity when you use your tester.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2013, 07:33 AM
    I'm thinking maybe a neutral problem, if they used to be correct.
    Plug an Extension Cord into a Known good outlet. And use the cords ground as a reference, the other probe of your meter or tester should show plug into the small slot on the outlet(hot), You may have to keep working torward panel to locate.
    If the circuits are on arc fault, it will trip when a hot draws more power than the neutral, since the return is through ground.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2013, 09:37 AM
    Troubleshooting this kind of wiring problem can be difficult. The problem may be anywhere from the circuit breaker panel to an intermediate outlet... knowing how to identify hot and neutral conductors and how to correctly wire receptacles, switches, etc. is another problem to the answer.
    If our explanations aren't helpful, please consider hiring a professional.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 19, 2013, 11:31 AM
    Just a suggestion, check the receptacles to verify that are all installed the same way. For example, all of the ground openings are facing down.

I have had this on several occaisions where owners have replaced a receptacle but inverted ir (so that the ground opening was now on top) If they then connected the receptacle in reverse (White to gold and black to silver0 all of your following circuit is incorrect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is a neutral wire Hot when it is disconnected from the neutral bar. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new circuit for ground faul circuit interrupters covering three outlets. When we went to connect the neutral to the bus bar it was live. It gave with the voltmeter 120v. When it was connected to the neural bus bar no current was shown. Is it normal to have a netural hot when...

Outlet Question: Open Neutral - Hot / Grnd Reverse? [ 6 Answers ]

This past weekend two outlets and one light fixture went dead in my basement after turning on my stereo. I checked the breakers and none had tripped, so I re-set the one in question just to be sure. Still dead. I haven't been in this house too long, so I thought to check for another breaker...

Hot/neutral reverse? [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a GFI receptacle and my circuit tester reads OPEN GROUND. I connected the ground wire to the green ground screw and now the circuit tester reads HOT/NEU REVERSE. Can anyone advise me how to make the tester read CORRECT?

Can I connect the neutal to the ground to filter reverse neutral? [ 1 Answers ]

I find that in my house connection, neautal has a 4-5 volts hot reverse, if I connect it to the ground its come to zero; can I connect it permanently to ground to filter neutral's reverse?

Hot neutral reverse : small camping trailer [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! It's my first time!! Sorry for my bad English, I am from Québec, Canada... I a new owner of a small camping trailer... only 7 years old, very good condition until this MOVE... In my tool box I found a plugin tester, the one with three lights... never use it before, why today, to be...

View more questions Search