Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Randyonguitar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2012, 12:46 PM
    Fan works but lights don't
    I installed a simple ceiling fan with lights. It was removed from my step-son's house. Only 3 wires to hook up. Black(neg), white(pos) and green(ground). There are 2 pull chains. After install, fan works but lights do not. Tried other bulbs. They all said lights were working before removal.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2012, 12:51 PM
    Almost all fans have either a connector block and a blue hot lead for the light or a blue through lead. You need a separate lead since not everyone uses a light kit. Remove the light kit, 3 small screws, and look for a connector block or a blue wire.
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Nov 24, 2012, 11:02 PM
    Your saying black is negative and white is positive which tells me your saying black is neutral (negative) and white is Hot (positive). The black wire should always be the hot connected to the hot lead and the white should always be connected th the neutral (white) wire in the junction box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan works but no lights [ 0 Answers ]

The fan works just fine but no lights at all. Light bulb are new and all the wires are connected properly, what should I do?

Three vanity lights, one works others do not [ 2 Answers ]

I have 3 vanity lights in my bathroom. We just replaced all of the lights. However we have a problem where one works and the other two do not. I got new lights for the two that do not and they still don't work. I wired them all the same. Why would electricity be going to one and not the other two?

Fan works but lights won't [ 2 Answers ]

I have a celling fan in my kitchen I installed it myself. I took it down from previous home we had and put in in our new home.I had wired it up the same way I'm sure of but the fan is the only thing that comes on. Lights won't work although they did at the other house. Is there something maybe I...

Hampton bay fan works no lights? [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a Hampton Bay with light kit and no remote. I connected white to white, black to black, blue from fan to red from house. Fan has pull chains for fan and lights. Light is also controlled by wall switch. Light work for 2 minutes but stopped after that. The fan still works. I...

Hampton Bay CF: fan works, lights don't [ 3 Answers ]

I hung a hampton bay ceiling fan (Huntington III), controlled by a simple single light switch, and the fan works well, but the lights do not work at all. I wired white to white, black to black, green and blue to outlet box ground. I am guessing that it's a manufacturer's defect, since it is getting...

View more questions Search