Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cashcc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2012, 05:30 AM
    Arc Breaker Install
    I am trying to install ARC breakers at my home. I have a couple of bedrooms that when I turn the power back on, the ARC breaker trips. If I reinstall the old breakers, there is no problem. What is causing the ARc breakers to trip?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2012, 05:55 AM
    Arc Faults work like GFI's in the sense that the hot and neutral need to draw equal current or they will trip.
    A light may have a hot from one circuit and the neutral from another which would cause a problem.
    If it is a Multi Circuit(2 hots sharing a Neutral, you will need a 2 pole 20 amp Arc Fault Breaker.
    Unplug everything on that circuit and lights off and see if it trips.
    You have the neutral of the Load on the Breaker and the Arc Faults Neutral on the Neutral Buss?
    jefferson17 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Oct 18, 2012, 10:27 PM
    Arc faults are VERY sensitive devices and a bit of a pain for anything other than brand new wiring that you installed end-to-end. They can trip if there is a single loose connection to even one receptacle on that circuit.

First things, first - work on just ONE of those circuits at a time. Identify everything that is on it. Hopefully, the lighting and outlets don't share the one circuit. Then double-check all connections on that circuit to make sure they are really secure and properly secured with wire nuts / tape etc - with no exposed wire. Even just one loose connection will cause that arc fault to trip.

Good luck!
    mike 165278 Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Oct 19, 2012, 05:11 AM
    What is the model of your main panel and model Arc fault you are installing. Cutler hammer has a new arc fault that has 3 led's that will allow you to trouble shoot why it is tripping. It also eliminates the ground fault chip eliminating nuisance tripping.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to install new breaker box-upgrade from 100 to 200 amp [ 8 Answers ]

I have done a bit of electrical work installing lighting and outlets and running new service to new appliances. I need to upgrade an old electrical breaker box from 100 amp to 200 amp. I want to know where I can find the specifics of the procedure so I can determine if I can do it myself seeing as...

How to install a new breaker box in a older home? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I just bought a 1993 mobile home. It was at one time a rental home. And the last tenants sole the breaker box out of it. I know it org. had a 100amp box in it. Idon't need a bigger box I just won't to put the same amp. Box back in it. All I Have is a bunch of wires hanging out of the wall....

Circuit breaker trip after install of GFCI breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing an outlet under kitchen sink that garbage disposer and dish washer were plugged into because they stopped working. The old outlet was not GFCI. So I'm attempting to replace it with one. Our home was built in the '50s and has no ground line yet. I used an extension cord to plug them...

How do I install an A are C breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem with the breaker having a dead short and have exhausted the possibility of possible problems. Help!

Install 240 circuit breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I just install circuit breaker 240 v ,but when I use the meter it can only read 120 v on each pole when I check both pole I don't see any thing in the meter,:eek: why is this happen Thanks

View more questions Search