Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roth40k Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2012, 12:07 PM
    Bussbar
    I have an older 200 amp breaker box made by cuttler hammer. I know some GE BREAKERS WILL WORK ON IT BUT ONE OF THE BUSS BARS IS SMALLER THAN THE other. I am adding 2 new rooms on and have the breaker slots avaliavle but don't have the lugs on the bussbar. I saw a ge bussbar with 42 lugs at home deopt. That would free up all the room I need without doubeling up the ground wires, which is out of code is the ge bar compatible with the cuttler hammer bar?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2012, 12:46 PM
    So what is your question?

GE breakers are not UL listed to be installed in CH panels, that is why the bus bar is too small.

Do you want to change the panel?
    mike 165278 Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Oct 17, 2012, 04:01 PM
    @OP are you referring to the ground and neutral bars that have wires going into them rather than the bus bar that the breakers snap onto? If so is your question can you use another brands ground bar or neutral bar in a Cutler Hammer panel?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2012, 04:15 PM
    Safest thing is to get CH twin tandem breakers or use a subpanel for the addition.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2012, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mike 165278 View Post
    @OP are you referring to the ground and neutral bars that have wires going into them rather than the bus bar that the breakers snap onto? If so is your question can you use another brands ground bar or neutral bar in a Cutler Hammer panel?
    He stated busbar so I would guess that's what he is asking.

Oct 17, 2012, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    I wouldn't. He said bus bar, but he also said he had breaker slots available. Breaker slots would mean he has room on the bus. He also he didn't have enough lugs on the bus bar available. That would make me think he means ground / neutral bar. Also he said 1 is longer than the other. Often the case with ground / neutral bar. As far as tandam breakers, depends on what is listed. C-H doesn't list every panel as able to take them. If he really has no space left, the right thing to do is add a subpanel. But, I'm sticking with my original assumption that the OP is referring to a neutral or ground bar. Let's wait and see...

Oct 17, 2012, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    @ MA, do you think he saw a GE buss bar at HD? Not a chance, a panel or ground or neutral bar definitely, but never a buss bar... Unless GE has started selling replacement busses as a standard stock item and I'm the last to know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search