Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rsherrell1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2012, 02:53 PM
    On 4 wire 240v breaker box
    There is only one grd block in the box. Do I connect the green and White at the same block? Rick
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Aug 27, 2012, 07:51 PM
    If the panel is the main panel feeding from the meter then the green would go to the ground block and the white would go to the neutral bar with a ground screw or ground strap bonding the neutral bar and ground bar together. If your feeding to a sub panel from the main panel then the green goes to the ground block and the white goes to the neutral bar and NO ground screw or ground strap should be used.
    rsherrell1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2012, 06:44 AM
    I am going to a sub panel ,but it only has a single block for ground . If I connect the white wire to that, do I just connect the green wire to the side of the box itself or to the block where the white is.
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Aug 28, 2012, 03:28 PM
    I think what you are calling the ground bar is actually the neutral bar and is not part of the metal panel. Since this is a sub panel the white will go to neutral bar and you will need to install a separate ground bar that attaches directly to the metal panel. Any new romexes you add onto the panel will have the ground wire go to the added ground bar and the white wire goes to the neutral bar.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 wire 240v to 4 wire 240v with 50amp gfci spa pack in between [ 1 Answers ]

I need the easiest yet still safe and legal way to hook up my hot tub. I have a 200 amp main service in the house which feeds a detached garage, which has its own small panel out there. I am wanting to use an existing 50 amp breaker(previously used for a welder) which has a 3 wire heavy gauge black...

How do I wire a 240v lake water pump gfi breaker [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 4 wire cable leading to a pump in my lake. It has been a long time since I wired it, but I think the neutral(white) and ground are connected to the same point at the pump. I currently have it wired to a standard 20amp 240volt breaker. I recently tried to wire it to a 20amp 240volt gfi...

We are adding a breaker box in a barn the wire we ran from the pole breaker box [ 1 Answers ]

The wire is 2 ft short and the box will be too low... can I splice another piece to it? And how do I do it

82v on one leg of 240v at breaker box [ 1 Answers ]

Neighbor complained of 120v window A/C not working and dim lamps on same circuit in old mobile home. Check of circuit revealed 82v on 120v circuit. Further check of incoming line showed 82v on one leg of service in breaker box (resulting in 82v on the affected bus bar). Disconnect box at service...

View more questions Search