Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kasheph Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2012, 06:55 PM
    Single pole vs. 3-way switch
    Can a 3-way switch be used where a single pole switch should be and the power continue to another receptacle that is not dependent on the switch ?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 26, 2012, 07:21 PM
    Yes, I guess so. Depends on how it is wired.
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Aug 26, 2012, 08:29 PM
    What is the reason you want to use a 3 way switch instead of just using a single pole switch?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding new switch to box with a 3-way and single pole switch? [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a shower light to our bathroom, which currently has a 2 gang box with a 3-way switch for the fan, and a single-pole switch for the main (wall) lights. Can someone provide instructions and/or a diagram on how to wire the switches in the box? There are currently 4 wires running into the...

How to wire a single pole switch to a single grounded receptacle? [ 3 Answers ]

I have 2 15amp single pole light switches that have just 2 brass screws and a green grounding screw on them and I have 4 15amp 125v grounded single receptacles that I want to wire up for my light switches to operate 4 sets of fluorescent lamps which already have plugs on them and one that has a...

How do I make a 3way switch into a single pole switch? [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 bedrooms that I am trying to install new light switches in. They both had dimmer switches in, now I just want regular flip switches. The problem is that Room A seems to want to be a 3-way switch with room B. There are 3 black wires in the electrical box. Right now, with the dimmer...

Double pole or single pole switch 4 reversing fan [ 4 Answers ]

I currently have a switch for my fan and another one for my fan light. I would like to reverse the fan movement. Would I use a double pole double throw or a single pole double throw switch?

Trying to change a single pole light switch to a single pole swith with a light below [ 5 Answers ]

I have a kitchen light and a basement light that are together in one electrical box, but are on single switches. I purchased a "single pole switch and pilot light" combination so I could see easily if the basement light is on. In the box there is a black, red and white wire. For the single pole...

View more questions Search