Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bhjmg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 02:53 PM
    450 amps what wire size
    What size conductors are needed for a 450 amp,three phase,600 volt electrical system,these conductors would be for the primary side of a three phase transformer
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jun 22, 2012, 03:04 PM
    HOw did you come up with a 600 volt electrical system? Your conductor size would not only depend on the amount of amps but also the distance you will need to run these conductors.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2012, 04:15 AM
    Apparently Jerro is not aware that there are 600 volt 3 phase systems in existence in industrial applications.Jerro is correct that distance needs to be considered when sizing wire to eliminate voltage drop.

Assuming the terminations are rated 75 Deg C, which is typical, 450 amps would need #700 MCM copper wire with THHN/THWN of XHHW insulation, which can handle a maximum of 460 amps.

However, if the 450 is the connected load, the amp rating of the wire size should need to be increased 25%.

This is not a DIY project. Where is the qualified electrician responsible for this project?
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jun 23, 2012, 05:33 AM
    Tk, I am aware of a 600volt system, I was just trying to get a clarification from the poster as to what he had. To me if someone ask that kind of questions he should have the knowledge of knowing what size conductors to use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Size Wire Do I Need to Carry 100 Amps [ 3 Answers ]

If I have 100 amps at 480 what will I have if I transfom it down to 208 three phase?

What size alluminum wire do I need to carry 100 amps for 300'max 220 v [ 10 Answers ]

220 volt max , mostly 110 a compressor , welder , tools , lights ,typical hobby garagel 350' panel to panel (from house to garage)

Adding stage lighting and amps to sound system. Wire size questions [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. We are installing a new stage lighting system and some additional amplifiers to our sound system. The sound and lighting techs have asked for ten 40 amp circuits. I personally think this is too many circuits for what they are installing, but they want room for future expansion. If I am...

View more questions Search