Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjballer44 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2012, 05:55 PM
    Installed two 3 bulb bathroom light fixture and breaker keeps tripping
    I replaced and installed two 3 bulb light fixture in my bathroom. They both had the same wiring as the old fixtures and I followed the instruction but my breaker keep tripping as soon as I try to turn on the light. I checked the switch and it was good. I also checked to make sure it was not a bulb because I took them all out and the breaker tripped when I turned it on. The breaker controls the ceilign fan in my bedroom, light in my closet, shower, toilet area, and over the sinks? I checked all my wiring 3 times and have unistalled and reinstalled the fixtures.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2012, 07:02 PM
    If the breaker is tripping with the bulbs out, you have a short somewhere. Was the old wiring switch looped? Where does the hot lead start?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2012, 07:27 PM
    Sounds like you may have hooked the white switch leg to the incoming (from source) neutral. With normal wiring in a case like this you should have two white wires attching to the light fixture wires. Best guess is that you have mixed up the two whites in the box. The switch leg (white) should have a black indicator on it but it may not. Just matching wire colors is not always correct.

Jun 11, 2012, 02:25 PM
    The wires are marked with white and black casing. I hooked them up they same as the previous fixture was connected. The wiring isn't that hold the house was built in 2007. I also noticed that my breaker was only a 15 amp. Would this have an affect on the new fixtures even though it was working with the previous ones? I also tested to see if ti was the fixtures and it wasn't but the breaker would trip each time one fixture was hooked up to the system on the right but not on the left. I tested it with both fixutres and it did the same thing both times.
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jun 11, 2012, 02:39 PM
    Disconnect the fixtures from the wires in the junction box. Cap each wire separately from the junction box and then flip your switch on and see if the breaker trips. If so you may have a nick in the hot wire that could be touching the ground wire and causing a direct short. Since you tried both fixtures on that same junction box and it tripped the breaker each time it sounds like the incoming wire has a short in it.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2012, 02:42 PM
    I believe you may have pinched a wire on one of them.
    Totally remove 1 fixture, try it, if it still blows, you will have to remove the second fixture as well. If it doesn't blow, leave the working 1 alone.
    If it does it with both front parts removed and still trips, you may have run a screw through a wire(s) in the wall.

Jun 14, 2012, 06:59 AM
    I have removed both fixtures and it does not trip the breaker. Itr only trips when one fixture is connected on the right side. When I leave it unconnected and only connect the left side the breaker does not trip but the light is automatically on with out turning the switch on.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 14, 2012, 11:45 AM
    Tell us how many wires and what color are in the fixture box.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2012, 02:24 PM
    That tells us that you may be working with a switch loop connected through the right side. If the light works with the 2 wires connected, it is not in a switch circuit. Are you sure there aren't more than 2 wires on the left side?
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2012, 03:13 PM
    I believe maO641 has it, I bet you have 3 cables in the right side, 2 are power, 2 to the other light, and 2 to the switch, Identify 2 to the other light, 2 that have power and the 2 that go to the switch needs the white that goes down to the switch identified with black tape at both ends and hook that to your black hot at the fixture.
    So, power goes down on the white with black tape, and when the switch is ON, it goes back up the black wire which connects to the 2 fixtures black wires.
    HK is excellent with drawings, easier than reading.
    Good Luck

Jul 10, 2012, 07:22 PM
    There are 4 wires on the right side 2 black and 2 white. Also everything in my master bedroom is on a 15 amp breaker.

Jul 10, 2012, 07:23 PM
    There are 4 wires on the right side 2 black 2 white. Also the whole master bedroom and bath is operating on a 15 amp breaker
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2012, 06:14 AM
    Remove both fixtures and see if the breaker trips.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CFL bulb in new light fixture tripping breaker [ 5 Answers ]

I just installed a new light fixture in the bathroom. I had the breaker off and when I finished installing I put in a CFL bulb and turned on the breaker. I immediately heard a pop and noticed the breaker was tripped. I checked all my connections and reset the breaker. The light stayed on for about...

Hamton Bay outdoor light fixture... how to replace a dead light bulb. [ 0 Answers ]

I have to see if one of the glass panels slides up or down or left and right. It does not appear that the top or bottom is removable. Don't have instruction guide... don't know the model number

I installed a new Ballast in a 277 volt metal halied fixture and the bulb does not ge [ 4 Answers ]

The ballast is multi tap and to wire it in I have a red wire the that has 277 on it and a blue wire with nothing on it I put the 277 wire from the ballast to the red wire and the 120 volt to the blue wire, the cap goes to the capasator. The com goes to the wight and the com goes to the other com

Why would my breaker keep popping after I installed a new fan/light in my bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased a Nutone, ceiling fan for my bathroom. Light/Fan/Nite light. I have also urchased a nutone wall switch plate with 3 on/off. Its requiring me to connect a red wire, wich I don't have. I only have black/white coming out the wall. So I just eliminated the night light. I comes on fine, but...

New light fixture tripping breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I have been trying to replace a three bulb dome light fixture in my kitchen and it keeps shorting when I turn it on. The house wires are a little old but not frayed. There are no apparent bare wires. Even I as a novice can attach black to black and white to white, put on wire nuts, and push them...

View more questions Search