Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nickkaylee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2011, 07:16 AM
    Heat not getting to the second floor
    We have a two-story home with forced hot water. Our furnace is in the basement. The other night it was VERY cold (-18) degrees, and we woke up to a cold bedroom on the second floor (54 degrees). There is no heat making it to the second floor. I read online to try bleeding the radiators, but it seems none of the radiators on the second floor have a drain valve. Can anyone give me some ideas on what to try, and tell me how to do them? I can't call in someone to fix it until payday (next week), and it is too cold to wait.
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Jan 25, 2011, 07:42 PM

Man, my wife would be happy with 54 degrees in the bedroom. Ours in always in the 40's when the outdoor is below freezing. Electric heat, lots of glass, old house, lousy insulation. Down comforters are great, but I digress.

Do you have radiators, convectors or baseboard heat? You are not looking for a drain valve, but a bleed valve. The bleeder is always at the high point on the heating unit. If the original installer was any good, there should be one on every heating unit or run. On radiators they are easy to find unless they are under a shroud. Convectors are inside at one end. Cast iron baseboard is usually easy too, but they can be hidden in the end caps. Finned tube baseboard is usually the one where they cheap out and don't put them in. But often you can find one at one end of the run at the top of an elbow where the tube comes through the floor. If there absolutely are NONE, then you have to flush the air out of the zone by pressure. Go to the Taco website and in the FAQs look for the question about a homeowner replacing a 007 circulator. Taco-Hvac: Frequently Asked Questions The second half of that answer will tell you how to purge a zone that doesn't have bleeders. Without more information on your system, I really can't give a better answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not getting enough heat on first floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 2 story home and on the 2nd floor I am getting heat and on 1st floor there is no heat. What might be the problem?

No heat to floor [ 1 Answers ]

2000 chevy s10 blows air through defroster and dash vents but not to floor in any setting How so I fix, please

No heat to second floor [ 3 Answers ]

I have hot water baseboard heat with an oil burning system. The pressure on the system had dropped to about 2 PSI. I added water to the system from the filler valve and got the pressure back up to 12 PSI. I still do not have heat to the second floor. What do I do to get heat up there in the...

No heat to second floor bedroom [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a colonial style house with 3 bedrooms on the second floor. Cool air flows through the registers in the master bedroom while the heat supply to the other 2 smaller bedrooms seems OK, though could be better. I have closed some of the registers on the first floor but this has not rectified...

No heat on First Floor [ 7 Answers ]

We have hot water baseboard, 1 circulator, 2 zone valves, 2 thermostats (1st flr, 2nd flr), Honeywell. Last week 1st flr heat stopped working. Forecasted to be cold in a couple of days, need to fix this. I think it's the powerhead on the 1st floor zone valve but need to make sure before I buy one. ...

View more questions Search