Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    noviceuser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2010, 04:43 PM
    Replacing pull light in closet with track lights
    I want to replace a pull switch light in a closet with a track light from IKEA. How do I control this track light without a switch? Right now, pulling the cord switches the light on/off. I'm a novice at electrical work and the only electrical work I've done is swapping out light fixtures. I don't think I will be able to add switches etc. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    mcme Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2010, 08:04 PM
    Remote control switch.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 04:09 AM
    Any fixture with a bare incandescent lamp is not allowed in a closet.
    Robert Gift Posts: 100, Reputation: 3

May 8, 2010, 04:44 AM

Building codes prohibit an incandescent light in a closet.
    Our building inspector will allow a light ONLY if directly over the door. (But how does one get it there after the drywall is finished?)
    (The concern is that anywhere else, items may get stacked up to the light bulb and catch fire.)

I installed a light switch in the wall next to the closet and an outlet above inside in which I plugged a string of white LED Christmas lights. They provide nice light at only 7 watts and no heat.

There is also a doorjamb switch which inserts into the hinged side of the door.
    But that requires a lot of effort - removal of the door and jamb - to install it.
    I am seeking a magnetic switch. When the magnet on the door moves away from the switch, the circuit closes and lights turn on.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 04:57 AM
    Robert, it is not the building codes, it is the National Electric Code that does not allow bare incandescent lamps in closets.

And it does not prohibit incandescent lamps entirely, I said "bare" lamps.

Track lights usually are bare lamps

You may use an incandescent lamps in a fixture that has a globe.

Using portable string lights as a permanent light source is not a good idea either.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 8, 2010, 05:11 AM

One assumes that this is a clothes closet, correct TK?
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 05:12 AM
    Without specific details, yes I assume a clothes closet.

May 8, 2010, 05:18 AM

Thanks, TK.
    Our inspector will not even allow a light bulb enclosed in glass and metal protected fixture - unless over the opening. To get it there, he says I should remove the drywall and patch it. I hate to do that because it will never look good.

What is the objection to the indoor/outdoor LED lights?
    (Other than their being temporary?)

May 8, 2010, 05:26 AM
    Also I want to put lights in under kitchen sink and under counter cabinets for a senior with diminished sight.

The magnet switches are only 1/2 amp = 60 Watts at 120 VAC.

Am considering 7-Watt LED indoor/outdoor LED strings for that, too.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 05:30 AM
    Local codes can modify the National Code. My advice is often to check local codes. But as you state, your local inspector will allow an incandescent lamp in an enclosed fixture.

Temporary lights are only allowed to be used 90 days, as per the National Electric Code.

Consider that someone installs a string of lights in a closet, somehow they hang on nails, staple them etc. These cords are not built for longevity. The cords can be easily damaged, wear out, get hard brittle, crack, etc.

Ask your inspector about using Christmas lights in closets as a permanent light source.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I replaced pull switch lights with recess but the wall switch won't turn off the light [ 2 Answers ]

I added lights and outlets to my basement and all of the outlets work fine. Before I started the switch on the wall controlled one light and all of the others had pull strings. I've tried everything but the switch will not turn off the remaining three lights. What did I do wrong... how do I fix it?...

Track Lighting: 6 pendant lights/4 sections of track 2 lights not working? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Here is the situation. Two light bulbs blew. Our handy man told us that when you replace the bulbs 12v that you can not touch them or they will keep blowing. So we used gloves and changed the two blown bulbs. Voilą! Light. About 3 days later the first one blew again and then the...

Replacing a fluorescent light with recess lights [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking to replace my old ceiling fluorescent light with four recess lights. The current light is controlled by one switch and I'd like to control all four replacements lights with the same switch. Can you please advise me how to run the wires and how to connect them from one master switch...

Replacing a pull chain light fixture [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to replace a 2 bulb, glass shade, bedroom type pull chain light in my basement room redo. There is a poor selection of pull on fixures out there! Can a 3 arm ceiling fan fixure be installed alone as a ceiling light that would pull on/off? Can I use a canopy kit to cover the...

Replacing exiting track light with recessed lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace an existing track light (3 lights) with 5 recessed lightings in my living room. Just wondering what type of cables or gauge I needed for the five lightings. I intend to just put a 35 watt halogen bulb for each receptacle. I also need to know the wiring diagram to install...

View more questions Search